Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe variations  (Read 1565 times)

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
Jumbo Joe variations
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »
I have been watching CL for a used Jumbo Joe for a while. Last week I bought one for $30 which wasn't bad, though eventually I am sure I could find one cheaper. Anyway a few days later there was one for $20, so I decided to pick it up too.
I am going to give one to my brother, but I have to decide which.
I am inclined to keep the deeper one, but it doesn't have a vent in the bottom and needs to have the ash dumped out. I am also unsure it if it is a good or bad thing to have vents on the side vs the bottom. Theoretically, the side vent may work pretty well for two zone cooking.
Also I haven't measured but it seems there might be a little more height from cooking grate to lid on the deeper version which could come in handy.
Anyway, any thoughts on the matter?

Ps now all I need is to score a Ranch Kettle off cl. I have been watching for a couple years and saw one awhile ago, but didn't have the $500 to spend at the time.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Jumbo Joe variations
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
The newer one is a jumbo joe.  The only advantage it has over the deeper one (nicknamed Outrider) is that it accepts a standard 18" grate.  It is also slightly more portable.  However the Outrider mimics the standard kettle shape more and is why I would stick with it over the Jumbo Joe.  The one downside to the Outrider is that it is a custom top grate size.  They can be ordered from Weber directly or you could order a forever replacement from Killa Grilla. 

Good luck on the Ranch.  Sometimes they do come along in the $400 to $700 range depending on the condition that is a great price.  Space can be the issue.  If the grates are trash i would pay less because replacements aren't cheap.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »
   I love them both, give the jumbo joe away only because it'll be easier to find a replacement on CL. The outrider with the CB stacker is my go to for low and slow, no ash buildup blocking the vents is a winner. When you need to spin only one chix the jumbo joe, portable table and CB roti is sheer perfection. The only downside of the JJ is the bottom vent and nuts and bolts, with me every third cook I take it apart to clean off the ash/grease buildup.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 08:37:50 PM »
Interesting. I assume they don't make an outrider anymore. I didn't swap grates or measure the two. I just assumed they both used an 18" grate. I will have to look into the stacker. I have been thinking of rigging up a rotisserie for my 26" but it would be easier to find one for the smaller grills.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 05:33:47 PM »
The one on the left looks like a Smokey Joe Gold to me. The Jumbo Joe I used to have was the one on the right. Great for traveling. A better portable grill than the Smokey Joe Gold in my opinion.  You could put a lot of grilling accessories inside for traveling.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado