Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for advice on methods for lighting a Weber pizza oven  (Read 11320 times)

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
Looking for advice on methods for lighting a Weber pizza oven
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:05:54 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve managed to almost lay my hands on a Weber pizza oven (item code 6520). Almost is because I’m in Australia and it’s in Switzerland waiting for available space on a flight down under.

My questions to you knowledgeable folk: what is the best way to get the oven/pizza stone up to temp? Next question, is there a method where the charcoal or wood isn’t piled up against the side wall of the kettle bowl? Is the vortex an option? Maybe a slow n sear basket or existing Weber baskets in a ‘C’ layout?

Any advice or info greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

RedMeat

• Smokey Joe
Re: Looking for advice on methods for lighting a Weber pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
Do a youtube search on Weber pizza and there are some good ones available. Basically the method  I use is charcoal first, then wood cubes in a horse shoe configuration. Don’t put heat directly under the stone. It will get too hot and burn. I would recommend getting a temp gun to remotely read you stone temperature. It needs to be above 600, preferably higher. The Kettle Pizza insert is a great accessory if you are going to make a lot of pizzas. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:55:49 PM »
18" WSM ring works well, partially filled

but I'm confident 3 x Standard baskets, evenly spread filled will be more than sufficient 

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 06:05:20 AM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=46528.0

I made this basket with 3 charcoal baskets, but anything similar will work to limit bowl contact if you want to do something else more DIY.  If I was doing something more DIY I would make the basket lean out with the shape of the bowl and make it taller so it is right under the grate straps. 

If I am only cooking 4 or 5 pizzas I usually do a heaping chimney full of lit charcoal briquettes and dump them in a slight C formation in the back.  Then I will put the stone on and lid on.  After the charcoal has been on a few minutes to start heating the pizza stone I will throw wood chunks in every few minutes until I get it up to temp and occasionally between pizzas to keep the temp up. 

If I am doing 10+ pizzas then I might do a chimney of charcoal on top of half a chimney of unlit charcoal just to keep my fire going longer. 

It isn't the most efficient method fuel wise, but it works well for pizza.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

FairFrank

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 12:39:27 AM »
Hi all,

I’ve managed to almost lay my hands on a Weber pizza oven (item code 6520). Almost is because I’m in Australia and it’s in Switzerland waiting for available space on a flight down under.

My questions to you knowledgeable folk: what is the best way to get the oven/pizza stone up to temp? Next question, is there a method where the charcoal or wood isn’t piled up against the side wall of the kettle bowl? Is the vortex an option? Maybe a slow n sear basket or existing Weber baskets in a ‘C’ layout?

Any advice or info greatly appreciated!

Hey! I'm new here, but i think the are a lot of methods, it depends mostly on how much pizzas you wanna cook