Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A question for folks that often use a three wheeler for grilling:  (Read 2168 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
For those that grill primarily or substantially on an old three wheeler vs. a one touch:

Taken as a whole, and assuming I am asking about high heat type cooks (either indirect, direct or a combo*) how often do you cook with all three bottom vents wide open

*So disregard low and slow type cooks where the wheels are substantially closed.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A question for folks that often use a three wheeler for grilling:
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
Seems like you may be wondering if the total airflow from 3 wheels is equivalent to the 3 slots on a one touch.

If so, I've not thought about it before but would presume they are equivalent. For high heat I open the bottoms of either type.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »
Seems like you may be wondering if the total airflow from 3 wheels is equivalent to the 3 slots on a one touch.

If so, I've not thought about it before but would presume they are equivalent. For high heat I open the bottoms of either type.

Not looking for a comparison per se, but you answered it.  You do go full open when doing a high heat cook.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
All I know (which ain't much) is that max heat requires (all else being equal) max airflow. Vents full open. Obviously, the type and amount of charcoal used plays a role, too.

So if you're reading between the lines, one man's all-open might be another man's partially closed if he wants stay stay below HIS max heat.

Back to your original query, I start with bottom vents open and usually vary the flow at the exhaust if necessary, because it's easier to do so there. But that's with a One Touch, which doesn't "encourage" much adjustment down there.

With daisy wheels doing indirect cooking I'm sure fiddling with one of the wheels comes into play ... if I remember to so do and in a micro-manage mood ... to help get that circular flow better (vent underneath food closed, so that cool air can't pull in and mix with heated air AT the food's location.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Always.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:48:28 AM »

All open, all the time, until the end, pinch down for sides that need lower  heat & to hold the stuff that's close to done.......

What's noticeable about the different intakes is not that the One touch lets a bit more air in, but that it lets it in higher up in the kettle, advantage....yes.....potential for majior league foul balls, also............. 8) :-[ :-[ :-[

Could not answer this very well until a lot of low heat cooks though......again, all open, all the time............amount, type, lit, unlit & placement of charcoal & wood makes a bunch of difference just for the way I cook.......close down some during extremely hot weather..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
Here's some photos from Sunday, 3-wheel, fairly small amount of coals,vents are stuck open on my friends' beater....

Sat @ 400 degrees for, I think over an hour while I did other stuff............

When I get over to their place I lite 3~4 kettles, to have coal ready for anything that crops up, people bringing extra food, etc.....so this one sat for awhile 'till I put the second round of tri-tip on, added coals & used it for heating branding irns....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"