Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks Smoke Or Maverick XR50 Thermometer  (Read 1023 times)

rams8821@yahoo.com

• Smokey Joe
Thermoworks Smoke Or Maverick XR50 Thermometer
« on: September 03, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
What would yall recommend?

Bearded

• WKC Brave
Re: Thermoworks Smoke Or Maverick XR50 Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
I have the Maverick and have been very pleased with it. I have not used the other to compare.

The 4 probes is nice and the range has been amazing. I can set my alarms and put it in my pocket or magnetic stick it to the fridge.

If I had to give one negative it would be the built in kickstand. A little loose, but you typically set the main unit down and don't fiddle with it again.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »
I have the XR-50 and really like it.  Temps are accurate and stable IME.  Remote unit works perfectly on all ends of my house during a cook.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »
I have both brands and  recommend the smoke. My biggest knock on the maverick is the short length of the probes. On a kettle it’s fine,  but if you use other cookers you’ll run into issues with the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
Have you thought about the wireless Meater probes? I know they are more expensive but I couldn't be happier with them. It's so nice not having to worry about wires and the app is nice to keep track of previous cooks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rams8821@yahoo.com

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 01:21:48 AM »
Never heard of Meater.  That does look intriguing.  Does it actually work.  I heard the Bluetooth thermometers are very inconsistent.  If this thing works call me intreaged.

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 05:17:57 AM »
So I bought the original Meater not the Meater+, the range on the original Meater is in a word awful so if you went into it thinking you were going to get 30 feet or so of range then you are going to be very disappointed. But I read the reviews before I bought and understood what would be needed going into it.
So for my set-up I use my old cell phone as a gateway, I downloaded the Meater app on the old phone and it picks up the signal from the probe(s) and the phone sends the signal to my WiFi from there it goes to the Meater Cloud and I can check my cook on my current cell phone from anywhere. Even if I run to the store I can check on things.
It's more set-up at first but once it's set-up it works without a hitch, I should add that for this set-up to work you would need to have WiFi coverage where your cooker is set-up.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 06:18:58 AM »
I am a Smoke fan, but have heard many good things about the Maverick
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 06:39:39 AM »

Smoke fan here.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »
Have and used both, IMO the Smoke is the superior product.