Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Remote Weber Lantern Lighting  (Read 6218 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Remote Weber Lantern Lighting
« on: September 01, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »
Awhile back I managed to complete my Weber lantern collection.  Some units had candles, some units had weirdly melted candles, and some none at all.  After assembling a few I decided the traditional candle route seemed less than ideal.  My wife and I had some remote LED candles that we have used around Christmas time and I thought this was the perfect route to take.  After looking around I found these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4487Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The size was almost a perfect match to the weber candles so I made the purchase.  One thing about these candles is that for the remote control to work you do have to leave them in the on position.  This could in theory drain the battery, but I am hoping that with them being LED it won't be significant and will be lasting. 

So I had the candle, but needed to make sure they wouldn't rattle around in the Lantern.  I thought the idea of using a magnet would be great, but they are made of aluminum so that idea went down the drain.  The next best thing I could come up with was velcro with adhesive.  I found some cheap strips for under $3.  I chose a size that was 3/4" wide to cut into squares because this is the approximate width of the battery cover.  This should make battery changes easier as the adhesive won't need to be removed.  So now I only need to open up the lantern if there is a drained battery.  SCORE!

The remote has an On, Off, 4 Hour, 6 Hour, and 8 Hour function and as long as the remote is pointed in the general direction of the lantern it appears to work quite well.  The lights have a flicker like a traditional candle and put off just enough light to see a bit in the dark.  Its more mood lighting a reading lamp.  This is MUCH EASIER and I am very happy with the results.   

Pictures to come...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:37:31 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Remote Weber Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
Doing some comparison and assembly.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Remote Weber Lighting
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
And now at night...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Re: Remote Weber Lantern Lighting
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »
That’s sweet !

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 03:27:19 AM »
I like the idea, My wife prefers the real candle effect so that is what we use
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:32:01 AM »
Very cool!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:37:08 AM »
Love the remote idea.  Opening the lanterns up and putting back together can be a bit challenging ([emoji481])when you use them for camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 04:18:51 AM »
I like the idea, My wife prefers the real candle effect so that is what we use

@JEBIV I was thinking "Who might this not work for?" and I thought of you, but it wasn't for the real candle effect.  The box of LED candles only comes with 12 candles, but I know you have an army of Lanterns.  However, I had to check the questions section just out of curiousity.  If you bought several sets they all work with one remote instead of needing multiple remotes.  :P 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
I love this idea....And I was toying around with some ideas to put my smokey joe collection around the deck during a cookout - lids on and some kind of light source to make them look like they had fires going inside them.  This could be the answer for that as well as lanterns placed around the deck.  Thanks for the link and the velcro idea!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 05:39:42 AM »
I love this idea....And I was toying around with some ideas to put my smokey joe collection around the deck during a cookout - lids on and some kind of light source to make them look like they had fires going inside them.  This could be the answer for that as well as lanterns placed around the deck.  Thanks for the link and the velcro idea!

I did something similar with this Easterner around the holidays last year.  It’s just rope lights inside the kettle.   Looked cool with the lights out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 05:44:33 AM »

I did something similar with this Easterner around the holidays last year.  It’s just rope lights inside the kettle.   Looked cool with the lights out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 06:32:58 AM »

Not a bad idea.  I wouldn't use these candle lights for that as I don't think they would throw enough light especially with the lid closed.  There are certainly some larger candle lights or string lights with a remote that could surely do the trick.  Maybe if your idea was to keep the lid off and just have the SJ be a center piece on a table candles could work. 

The candles I found seem to be a perfect fit for the Lantern though.  They do have a similar candle with multiple color lights that might be cool during Christmas time.  I chose to not go with that option because I wasn't certain if the colors were random or could be clearly set to a specific color. 

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 03:45:33 AM »
This is cool. Nice work.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 05:36:11 AM »
Paint the insides of your smokey Joe's white, or maybe line with emergency blankets if you plan on cooking on them too.

I didnt know you had a lantern collection either!

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
Sweet lantern collection, and great mod.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers