Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY make a 26 er “spin” grate  (Read 4095 times)

tvt

• Smokey Joe
DIY make a 26 er “spin” grate
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:58:23 PM »
The size diff on a 26er makes them great and versatile. However, two  things I feel that could have been better is the design/location placement of the two nuts that secure the lid bale to the bowl. If you own a newer 26er (not sure if older 26ers have same problem), you know. The two nuts usually block easy removal of the cooking grate. Additional, the ends of the grate’s handles extend below the cooking grate so if you try to spin it, they snag at the grate straps.

With an angle grinder I was able to make the grate the 26er spin freely and it is also really easy to remove the grates without it bumping into the nuts. Ok I’m done taking about 🥜.

What do I need to do?

-Get angle grinder
-Grind off the extended part of the two “bolts”that goes past the nut (see pic for better description)
-Grind at an angle the four ends of the handle on the grate (see pic)

The mod makes a big diff in handling of the grate and cooking. If you already have the tools. It’s a free mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: DIY make a 26 er “spin” grate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »
One alternative to grinding the threads down would be to use a few additional washers on the exterior of the kettle so the lid bail doesn't go as far into the bowl.  If you are wanting to go ahead and get rid of some of the threads the better method would likely be to mark it, make a clean cut, and then use a tap and die to reestablish the threads in case you ever want to be able to thread a nut back on easily. 

Something else you can do with your grate is check to see if any of the grates actually extend out farther than the outer ring and use a grinder to bring that into line with the outer ring.  I have had a few grates that were a little snug because the top grate was welded 1/8 inch too far one way in a few unfortunate spots.

It is a good mod to be brought to peoples attention.  It can be pretty annoying at times 

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 02:32:51 AM »
Lol, I've told myself about everytime I use my 26 that I was going to break out the grinder for the handle overlap.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 03:58:51 AM »
It can be annoying for sure, nice mod and tips !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill