Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My First Rescue  (Read 8923 times)

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
My First Rescue
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
So on Saturday, about half a mile down the road from my house, I noticed a Q sitting out at the end of somebody's driveway, waiting for the trash man to take it away.  I felt that I needed to intervene.

I figured all it would need would likely be a new grate and burner tube, so I drove to the edge of my development, parked, and walked down the road the rest of the way to pick up the grill.  When I opened the lid, it was full of cobwebs and leaves, so it had obviously been sitting in the garage or shed for a while.  The grate and burner looked to be in near perfect shape, so I picked it up and made for home.

Well, that's where things took a slight turn for the worse...  While the grate and tube were almost like new, I figured out why somebody was trashing the grill - the Control Knob Bracket was broken off next to the frame, and it had taken the regulator away with it.  Undaunted, I proceeded to see if I could register the grill online.  After successfully registering the Q, I checked the parts list on Weber's site - the regulator and Control Knob were there, but the bracket had no ordering information available.  I had a message from a customer service rep who had answered a couple of questions about my kettles sitting in my email, so I tried responding to her in the hopes of getting reorder information on the bracket.  I freely admitted that the grill was second-hand, and that I was just making an inquiry regarding availability of the bracket.

This morning, I found out why Weber has a reputation for spectacular customer service.  I got a reply from Carlencia at Weber, saying that I had a new bracket on the way.  A minute later, I got the 'order received' email confirming that it was coming, free of charge.  I ordered the regulator and knob, so all in, I'm looking at $60 and a little elbow grease for a practically mint Q200.

I'll post some pictures once she's all clean and shiny, but for now, I'd like to introduce myself to the gassy side of the forum.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Re: My First Rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »
Awesome! Grate rescue!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 03:01:59 AM »
Cool story, no surprise with Weber customer service
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
Grate rescue and story!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »
Can’t wait for the pictures!

View to a Grill on YouTube

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
Almost there...

I was trying to get some of the smoke residue off the inside of the lid, but I was taking the enamel with it. I did a test firing with a disposable cylinder the other night - I’ve got a braided stainless-clad adapter hose due in this afternoon to hook up the 20 lb tank.

It’s going to be doing griddle-heating duty tomorrow when I make patty melts.

2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
Sweet! Great story. I think Weber’s CS is top notch.

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 03:48:33 PM »
Great story!

Spray on oven cleaner followed by 20 minutes of sitting and a strong hose will get rid of most of the residue.