Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Steel No Weld Mini Ranch Design  (Read 11385 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Stainless Steel No Weld Mini Ranch Design
« on: August 16, 2020, 04:30:50 AM »
So I keep kicking the mini Ranch idea around my head... I would like to have a solid base for the 26er without dropping it into a Performer cart so that brings us to the crazy obsessive place I am now.

I know that one option is to purchase the Ranch legs directly from Weber (I have a Ranch so they would allow it) or replace for approximately $194 shipped at another online parts store.  While I know this method works it has some disadvantages. 
1.) Cost. I could purchase superior materials that would meet or be below this cost in my opinion.
2.) Seeing how the regular Ranch frame was built I really wasn't impressed and it comes with the bowl brackets that kind of look out of place and ruin a perfectly good storage space under the grill. 
3.) The design depends on drilling into the porcelain bowl 8 times AND getting all of them level.  It can be done, but that porcelain always seems indestructible until you drop a lid or the bowl tips over (go figure).

So here we are trying to come up with a no weld design because I don't readily have welding tools available and the ones I do have availability to are not set up for Stainless Steel.  I would use 1 1/4" square tubing and as much stainless steel hardware as possible.  Originally I thought about attaching all the necessary square bar by using corner brace brackets, but I think I may have come up with a better solution visually speaking.  The plan would involve drilling a mounting hole on one side of a square tube, inserting a bolt INSIDE the tube, and having the threads be on the outside.  Then inserting a tube connecting star nut of some sort inside the other piece of square tube.  After that it would take some patience of inserting a wrench inside the tube with the bolt and holding it into place while you turn the whole tube with the star nut.  I believe this should work, the only down side is I haven't found any tube connecting nut in stainless steel.  It isn't the end of the world because I was planning on keeping the grill inside, but it would have been nice none the less.  The other downside is it might get annoying towards the end of assembly.

It may be more secure to keep the cross bars in one piece, but I really dislike this possibility in the event that I wish to add a lower basket or shelf for storage at a later date.  I was considering buying a small piece of threaded bar, drilling both sides of the one solid center piece, and then attempting a similar attachment as described above for the two half pieces.  I may not be able to get it super tight, but I think I can get it solid enough.  I would like to get a basket or shelf, but I will have to see what I can come up with at a later date.

As for securing it to the bowl I am considering buying some flat bar or sheet metal in a 1 1/4" band and wrapping it around the bowl of the grill.  Once concern I have is thickness because while I know 1/8" would be solid as a tank I also know that SS can be a pain to bend and shape.  My best idea for shaping it would be to make a wood jig and wrap it around while securing with screws until I get the desired shape.  Then I could bend the ends out to touch together and use a bolt/nut to tighten around the bowl as needed.  The bar would be secured at the lid bail holes, there would be notches for the front handle, and weight would sit on the underside rim of the bowl.  The ends of the ring could tuck inside the square tube of one of the legs.

One question I have is there anything I should line around the ring to protect the side and under rim of the bowl that is heat tolerant? 

I would secure this ring to the legs not by using bolts, but by cutting the top of the legs in a way where I could slide it into notches of the tube steel.  As for the open holes of the legs I am toying around with either cutting them in a way where a square portion could be bent down to secure the ring or simply buying/fabricating some kind of leg caps. 

As for the wheels I would look to use a SS axel to secure 8" Weber wheels.  While I like the giant wheels on my current ranch I fear that they may be over doing it on a 26er but I could change my mind.  I would also look to buy Stainless Steel casters in a similar or smaller size as I have on my ranch build. 

At the need of it all I am actually not planning on painting it.  I think I might try to polish/sand out any scratches and make it as shiny as I can and leave it.  Why paint stainless steel that will chip when it already looks so damn good and is moisture resistant? 

Thats the pian so far.  I am not planning on starting this project for a minute so I figured putting it here might get a few nutcases like myself to come forward with ideas or words of advice.  I might tag a few people eventually to pick their brains. 

I ofcouse would documenting it all on here in case someone else wanted to do the same project.  After all the finest form of grill flattery is someone else doing the same!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:32:56 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Stainless Steel No Weld Mini Ranch Design
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:33:14 AM »
If it’s anything like your Ranch custom job, I’m sure it’ll be awesome. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »
As for securing it to the bowl I am considering buying some flat bar or sheet metal in a 1 1/4" band and wrapping it around the bowl of the grill.  Once concern I have is thickness because while I know 1/8" would be solid as a tank I also know that SS can be a pain to bend and shape.  My best idea for shaping it would be to make a wood jig and wrap it around while securing with screws until I get the desired shape.  Then I could bend the ends out to touch together and use a bolt/nut to tighten around the bowl as needed.  The bar would be secured at the lid bail holes, there would be notches for the front handle, and weight would sit on the underside rim of the bowl.  The ends of the ring could tuck inside the square tube of one of the legs.

If you have access to a sheet metal roller bender, that would be ideal for shaping 1-1/4" wide band. I used our shop roller bender to make new 1/16" thick x 5/8" wide replacement charcoal grate hangers.

One question I have is there anything I should line around the ring to protect the side and under rim of the bowl that is heat tolerant?

You could use high temp fiberglass insulation sheets or strips.
https://www.mcmaster.com/fiberglass-insulation/fiberglass-fabric/

Sounds like a cool project.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »
If you have access to a sheet metal roller bender, that would be ideal for shaping 1-1/4" wide band. I used our shop roller bender to make new 1/16" thick x 5/8" wide replacement charcoal grate hangers.

Unless my father in law has a roller I may only be left with two options.  1.) Go to a local fabricator and ask them to do it or 2.) Cut a wood circle a the approximate size, screw it to a table/plywood, and then wrap the metal ring around the circle while securing it with screws as I go.  I would bet that either option would come out to the same approximate cost. 

Thanks for the link for the high heat fabric.  That was more or less what I was thinking.  Ideally it would be nice if the bowl could be easily removed without damage if needed someday. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »
@ReanimatedRobot
If your want to use 1-1/4” wide SS band to hold kettle, what thickness do you have in mind? Let me know, I’ll check our scrap pile.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 03:49:25 PM »
@ReanimatedRobot
I measured the SS taco handle strap on my 22” MT & 26” GB and both are .068-.069 thick.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
Right now I was looking at 1/8 inch thickness on the ring and any other hardware that might be fabricated.  1/16 inch might work as well.  Thinner is easier to shape, but not as solid as thicker so its really a trade off.  The band could also be slightly wider at 1.5 inchss.  Not sure what others have used for their ring style ranch builds.

Availability also plays a roll. Right now i am looking at ordering online with Grainger because there aren't any supply stores around here with SS.  They do not have 1/16 thickness.  Other down side is they only do 6 feet so it will likely take two pieces that are connected at two points for the ring.

Appreciate your input/assistance. 

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:56:43 PM by ReanimatedRobot »

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 04:11:12 PM »
@ReanimatedRobot
I’ll look around the shop tomorrow and see what I can find.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
@ReanimatedRobot
I used “Leveling Mount Inserts for Tubular Legs“ from McMaster to repair a tube frame on a Weber Gen 1000 gas grill earlier this year. You might be able to use them in constructing your frame. It’s just an idea.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-tube-inserts/

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
@AZ2FL We really seem to be on the same track here.  I have been eyeballing McMaster for this Leveling Mount inserts already.

I have kind of rethought the notches in the legs for the ring to insert into idea.  I think the better method of securing would be to overlap the pieces of the ring and secure them directly to the inside of the leg.  Notching the leg could eventually cause it to bow out.

I attached what I have been eyeballing at Grainger to kind of give you an idea of what my cost figures might be. The flat bar for the ring could probably be 1/16 of an inch thick and be plenty sturdy I would think.  I might use some left over flat bar for some accessories such as hook mounts or lid guards on the front much like the Ranch actually has. 

Depending on what you have available for scraps/materials I would be happy to work something out with you for material cost and time.  If we are talking about enough material for a whole ring I would even be willing to send some extra cash your way to bend it into a ring because I doubt the shipping would be much different from long and skinny to square and slim.  If I didn't have to bend a ring the rest of the project could easily be completed with a chop saw, angle grinder with a cutting disk, and a drill press.

Tomorrow I will try to get some pencil and paper and start drafting some plans for this monster.  I can't seem to get my mind off of it until I get it all figured out.  Thanks for the help!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
Grainger Cart Pic.  I would actually need two pieces of the 1/8 thick 1 1/4 flat bar to make a full ring.  So that would be double what my screenshot shows.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Stainless Steel No Weld Mini Ranch Design
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
@Bill, check out this mini build done by @swamprb

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27188

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:35:57 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »

Well that settles it. 1/8 inch ring is probably overkill.  I could see the benefit in making the ring wider too as it might allow for more clearance of hardware to be applied. 

Hopefully swamprb will chime in since Bob tagged him and let us know how well it is holding up and if he has any regrets or would have done it differently.  It or some variation of it really seems to be the way to go. 

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 02:57:17 AM »

That's one awesome build !

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 03:14:38 AM »
@ReanimatedRobot

I looked at @swamprb 26er build, he used 24 gauge  (.0235) SS X 3" wide ring/band.

I have the following SS scrap, not sure what grade.

19 gauge SS (.042)
1-1/2" wide x 96" (10 pcs)
1-3/4" wide x 96" (10 pcs)
2" wide x 96" (10 pcs)

22 gauge SS (.029)
3.075 wide x 96" (1 pc)

I can not sell SS stock. I can give it to you, since my company will give it to me if I ask management.

SS flat stock is flexible and won't require a roller bender.