Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rebuilding a performer  (Read 3106 times)

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
Rebuilding a performer
« on: August 13, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
I'm repairing/rebuilding a 2010 Performer for a friend. I have run into 2 problems:
1) How are the hubs on the large diameter wheels removed without damaging them?
2) I have slightly bent 1 fin/sweep on the one touch system, question is, is there any way to bend it back without taking the whole assembly apart?
Thanks

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rebuilding a performer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 04:14:54 AM »
If you are talking about the caps that hold the wheels in place about the best thing I have found for removing them without damaging them is a couple of paint can openers gently prying them off.  However, I really got tired of doing this.  Now a days I just pop the plastic part off and use cutters to get the metal piece off.  I then use replacement caps.  Its easier and they may not secure as well if you reuse them.  If you are talking about the hub caps that cover the wheel caps then they just need to be gently pried off with a screw driver/knife.  Kinda hard to be sure without seeing what you are looking at.

The sweeps will need to be completely removed.  There are videos on youtube and it is super easy after you see it.  Just a trick with a screwdriver and the handle turns and slides right out.  If you are doing a rebuild it is a good time to take them off and clean them and the bowl up anyways.  They tend to accumulate ash mud over the years.  You can then bend the one blade back into shape.  It won't be perfect a perfect seal, but it will be good enough for most grilling. 

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
 Actually want to remove the white disk on the exterior of the wheels they look fragile, one already has a small piece chipped out and I want to shift it to the back to have a nicer looking one on the front side.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »
Get a fat Phillips screw driver and use it to push the pegs from the back side of the wheel. Lightly pull from the outside when you see it moving. One peg at a time, then just spin the wheel an inch or 2 and push the next nub all the way around.
Actually want to remove the white disk on the exterior of the wheels they look fragile, one already has a small piece chipped out and I want to shift it to the back to have a nicer looking one on the front side.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow