Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: current ash catcher on "c" kettle  (Read 2802 times)

nw010101

• Smokey Joe
current ash catcher on "c" kettle
« on: August 09, 2020, 08:53:51 AM »
This is discussed elsewhere on the site, but didn't notice that till after I did it. The cleaning blades were corroded and broken on one of my kettles and I thought I'd upgrade to a "high capacity ash catcher" while I was at it. I took a look at one of my kettles (which turns out to be an "ER") and saw the little slots for the ash catcher tabs, so I went ahead and ordered from Weber. But the one I did first is a "C" and doesn't have the tabs. So I went the hose clamp route but slightly differently than is described on the site.

Here's the underside of the kettle, note the lack of slots. (Also the rust, this kettle is pretty old and has been outside its whole life, wonder how many more years I can get out of it?)

Since the tabs don't fit facing out, I used a pair of pliers to reverse them, so they face in. Carefully! Once! That aluminum doesn't look that stong.

Now the mounting ring fits!

There wasn't quite enough clearance for the hose clamps so I cut little slots with tin snips.

Tightened up the hose clamps with a long screwdriver.

Done!

FWIW here's what the cleaning blades looked like to start

Grinder: brutal but effective

New blades installed. Seem to fit a bit tight? These are also the new, modern kind, with the slots instead of nut. Wonder if it will be easier to replace when it burns out in a couple years?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: current ash catcher on "c" kettle
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »
Your installation looks perfect to me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:14:38 AM »
Looks nice! You might get better movement if you scrape the inside of the bowl with a razor blade down to the bare porcelain. Then scrub with an SOS pad to get the rest. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

nw010101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »
@You might get better movement if you scrape the inside of the bowl with a razor blade down to the bare porcelain. Then scrub with an SOS pad to get the rest

@bamakettles Thanks for the tip. You're probably right. I had to do some scraping just to get the new blades to fit.