Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM: cajun bandit door vs lavalock  (Read 6356 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
WSM: cajun bandit door vs lavalock
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:32:47 PM »
Cajun bandit door vs. lavalock door. I’d like for the door to swing out of the way rather than the way the stock and CB doors swing down, but I’m not a fan of the looks of the lavalock door. Any input will be appreciated. I’m looking to start modding my WSM soon but can’t decide on which door to go with. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
WSM: cajun bandit door vs lavalock
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
I like my lavalock door.  Swings open and easily closes, comes with a latch and seals tightly.  Paintable, some have painted them fun colors for customization.  No mess on the side of the smoker, and when I close the vents the fire is out pretty quick.  Up to you if you can get over the looks.  I think it looks pretty cool.  And you can hang a crown royal bag on it lol!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:44:02 AM by bamakettles »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WSM: cajun bandit door vs lavalock
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
If you want a hinged door then the decision has already been made. Im very happy with my cb door and latch but I’m guessing I would like both. I think both look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 05:49:33 PM »
I’m a big fan of CB products, have many including the door.

I didn’t do this, but think without too much difficulty, the stock door can be made tight, by shaping and perhaps a nomex gasket.

I needed to tweak my CB door and while better than untweaked stock, it isnt perfect, but good enough.

I think that lava lock door looks tighter and I am envious of the side hinge.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:30:16 AM by ClubChapin »

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »

I’m a big fan of CB products, have many including the door.

I didn’t do this, but think without too much difficulty, the stock door can be made tight, by shaping and perhaps a nomes gasket.

I needed to tweak my CB door and while better than untweaked stock, it isnt perfect, but good enough.

I think that lava lock door looks tighter and I am envious of the side hinge.

I have heard that some CB doors need to be tweaked to fit the wsm. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
I haven't looked at the hinge door very closely. I suspect I'd like it, except for the aspect of how to cover the smoker with it installed. I leave my SM outside sometimes for a week if I plan on smoking back to back cooks. I went with the CB bundle with the bigger charcoal ring/door combo. I like both of these CB items a lot and the door fit perfect right out of the box.
I have no doubt the hinge is more user friendly though, as I have to hold my door with one hand as I tend to the charcoal with the other. I manage petty good though. Let us know what you go with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 03:40:41 AM »
I haven't looked at the hinge door very closely. I suspect I'd like it, except for the aspect of how to cover the smoker with it installed.

This cover is nice and fits well over my CB WSM shelf. I think it would accommodate the hinged door and also a lid hinge.

https://www.amazon.com/UNICOOK-Waterproof-Smoker-Kettle-Char-Broil/dp/B01F8V2VIE