Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Disappearing?  (Read 2134 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Is the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Disappearing?
« on: August 04, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
I heard a rumor that the Weber Summit Charcoal series grills may soon be replaced with another model. Today the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is listed as "Currently Unavailable" on the Weber site.  Ironically, also today Weber revealed the Master Touch Premium (which includes a diffuser plate, similar to the Summit).  Is Weber getting out of the Kamado grill business?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:27:02 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

sjhill

• Happy Cooker
Re: Is the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Disappearing?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
I sure hope not. Ordered mine from ACE last week and it should be here some day this week. I’ve always found it strange thought how Weber has basically given up advertising this grill.

When I went into ACE to order it the first thing the sales guy told me was the summit was a gas line not a charcoal line. He had no idea these existed. . I talked to the head of the grill department and he had heard of them but he said they have never sold one so after being out over 4 years I will have the first one in my city.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:50 PM »
Makes you wonder if Weber wants to strongly compete against KJ and BGE or dabble in the kamado market.  I’ve been in many ace hardwares that are Weber dealers and never seen a summit but I always see BGE. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:31:58 PM »
Yeah I really don't understand why ACE stores seem to LOVE Big Green Egg.  I would argue that it isn't even the best ceramic cooker let alone the best kamado style grill.  The Summit Charcoal is easily the best or one of the best kamado style grills, but Weber doesn't advertise it heavily or put it in a price point where it could take a chunk out Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg's market. 

If it is to be replaced by a new model I really hope it is at least similar/improved to the current model, but at slightly lower price point.  Looking at the Kamado Joes the price of $1,500 and $2,000 really isn't out of the market, but a little lower might price it to where it is a major competitor. 

I suppose I will just keep my fingers crossed that the current generation of Summit Charcoal was just Webers initial offering where they were learning the tricks necessary to make a major run on the market.  It would make sense to make a limited run to get a feel for the market before investing heavily in large scale manufacturing for something as complicated as the Summit Charcoal. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

MikeLucky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
I think both the Summit Charcoal and the SmokeFire are products that were launched solely to get into markets they weren't currently in.... Kamados and Pellet Grills, respectively.  The problem to me is that Weber REACTED to both platforms in a way that is completely against the ways Weber has always made themselves great.  Weber has always been an innovator.  These two grills, in my opinion, were clear boardroom decisions to get into hot markets that competitors were already dominating.  It's part of the reason why these two grills never really appealed to typical Weber customers, again in my opinion.

When Weber wanted to directly attack the BGE/Kamado platform, their winner would be what they just finally released now in the Master Touch Premium with the coal chamber, diffuser plate, hinged lid, etc.  It combines the innovation and classic greatness of the Kettle that Weber personifies combined with the extra features and versatility to compete directly in the Kamado market while also kicking their ass in price.  Plus, it still absolutely appeals to your long-time Weber customers.  Win-Win-Win.

Instead of the SmokeFire, my opinion is that Weber should have designed and built a gravity fed charcoal kettle.  It would combine the long treasured format of cooking with charcoal with the performance/design of a pellet grill.  It would compete in the pellet grill segment, but be innovative because it's not using the "gimmicky" pellets as fuel and would be very easy to market against the big players in the pellet segment.  Plus, you'd once again appeal to Weber purists because it's still a charcoal grill.

In both cases you keep the signature porcelain enameled Weber kettle look and durability.  You stay true to your roots as a charcoal grill/smoker maker and it is still your cornerstone.  You retain your ability as a company and for your customers/fans to counter any format of grill/smoker with "Weber is the best, has always been the best, and they even do your job better than you do."

Again, just the opinion of some dude on the internet.  But, yeah, I can see this being an intentional move to the Master Touch Premium and quietly phase out the Summit Charcoal. 

Scogin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 06:10:54 PM »
Really hope not, I was hoping of getting one next year. Definitely wouldn't get the Master Touch Premium, two completely different grills.

Everything I saw seemed like the Summit was Weber's best performing and best reviewed charcoal grill. I don't believe they have anything that can rival it out of the box. Which is what the Summit name deserves.

The price is definitely a little steep, I think a redesign without the gas assist could help (seems like they fail often), the closer you could get it to $1250 and $1750 the better to compete with the ceramic leviathans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:12:56 PM by Scogin »

sjhill

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »
Don’t know if it’s related or just because Weber has low inventory on everything right now, but ace was supposed to get my summit July 31. That’s been pushed back to august 16. That’s if it comes then too.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 06:52:58 PM »
I really want one.  But I don't $1000+ want one. At least not any time soon. I sure hope it isn't going away but would not be surprised if it did.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 06:51:44 AM »
  Definitely wouldn't get the Master Touch Premium, two completely different grills.

Just looking at the photos and some of the specs; looks like a Mini Weber Summit and a added plus all my accessories on my Weber Performer Deluxe would fit, i.e.,SlowNSear Plus, DripNGriddle Pan, Cajun Bandit Rotisserie, etc.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:53:41 AM by tibas92017 »

Scogin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 05:03:45 AM »
  Definitely wouldn't get the Master Touch Premium, two completely different grills.

Just looking at the photos and some of the specs; looks like a Mini Weber Summit and a added plus all my accessories on my Weber Performer Deluxe would fit, i.e.,SlowNSear Plus, DripNGriddle Pan, Cajun Bandit Rotisserie, etc.
There is room for any grill Weber wants to make, their diversity and willingness to try new designs is what they need to keep doing. I don't hate it but it would kill me a little if it was their replacement for a Summit line cooker.

The comparison is apples to apples that taste different and look different.

But I don't really think WSCG done seeing how there is availability still and orders can still be placed through vendors like Ace. I just think inventory was strained like everything else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app