Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Going back to the Kettle  (Read 2338 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
Going back to the Kettle
« on: July 30, 2020, 04:03:04 AM »
Hello Everyone,

What a find this website is; glad to have stumbled onto it. I am returning to the Weber Kettle after spending the last 10 years or so on a Weber Spirit. Currently my Crimson Performer Deluxe in a box, waiting for our close date on our home in Arlington, TX so we can move in. The reasons for the switch to the kettle are multiple:

1. I moved from the northwest suburbs of Chicago to Arlington, TX, where I am not too concerned about a quick grill start and "get to temperature" because of snow & cold. The warm / hot weather of Texas eliminates that issue.

2. I've come to appreciate the "cooking with Ry" channel on YouTube and the fabulous cuts of meat he smokes on his copper kettle. I plan to replicate his work.

3. There is no other grill that is as iconic as the Kettle.

4. I fondly look back to the first kettle I bought in Mundelein, IL in 1995 after I moved from an apartment in Oklahoma City when I got married, which I then took with us when we moved to Coral Springs, Florida and used regularly.

5. I can't recall why I needed to get a new one, but I distinctly recall getting a new black kettle in 2001, Memorial Day weekend, assembling it and having a holiday cookout with the family.

6. As a 10 or 11 year old in either '80 or '81, I remember standing outside the Weber-Stephenson facility along the Metra train line in Palatine, IL, with my dad, waiting to buy a new grill. There was some sort of big sale going on. I remember seeing all of the grills and thinking how cool they looked.

I look forward to everyone's advice and years of grilling on my new charcoal grill!

hansonb4

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Going back to the Kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 04:48:17 AM »
Hello and welcome.  Congrats on the new home purchase and I enjoyed your Weber flashbacks.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 05:09:39 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga and welcome back to charcoal and the ever so versatile Weber Kettle
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 05:14:02 AM »
Great post, welcome from Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 05:49:49 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  All of those are good reasons to go back to charcoal.  There are so many things you can cook on a kettle and there's no better way to do it IMO.  I also follow Ry on YouTube and his presentations are so relaxing to watch.  I've emulated some of his cooks as well, most recently the chuck roast pulled beef sandwiches with horseradish sauce that was really good.  Good luck with your move and share some cooks with us when you get settled in.  We love pictures!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Going back to the Kettle
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 05:50:01 AM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana by way of Elmhurst, Illinois!   I recall those factory sales when I was younger, too. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 06:24:46 AM »
Welcome to the Wkc from lake in the hills, IL.
The factory store has recently closed and all production has been moved to the new facility in Huntley.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 08:28:44 AM »
Thank you. I know the area well, having lived in Cary the last 18 years. Also, my aunt amd uncle live on Hawthorne, right off of Algonquin, between Hanson and Randall.
Welcome to the Wkc from lake in the hills, IL.
The factory store has recently closed and all production has been moved to the new facility in Huntley.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 05:49:41 AM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »
Welcome from just north of your new home!  I’m in Flower Mound now, but grew up in Arlington. I retired from company based in Chicago and was there every other week. You won’t miss standing on an L platform in the winter with the wind blowing off the lake! 

I’m also new to this forum and love learning new ways to use my Kettle.

J_Code_Foxbody

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 05:44:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing some memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Too many kettles, not enough time.
1960 Glen Blue Galley-Que K Code 18" Redhead
EO Code 22" Brownie 2019 22" Ivory...Just a few of my favs