Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: GFS Briquettes  (Read 2929 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
GFS Briquettes
« on: July 28, 2020, 06:05:38 AM »
I was in my local GFS (Gordon Food Service) buying meat the other day and I was checking out their charcoal.  I’ve read their lump and briquettes are rebranded royal Oak.  The lump I’ve used.  It’s nothing special.   The briquettes look like Royal Oak Chef Select, which I can only find at do it best hardware.   They’re supposed to be excellent.  They are the big ridge design, 30% larger than normal briquettes.  The 20 lb bag is $10.  In thinking about trying some.  Has anyone tried the GFS briquettes?  Are they the same as the RO chef Select?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
GFS Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 06:09:22 AM »
I’ve never knowingly used select but I did use the gfs briquettes. Looked like normal ro ridge. It wouldn’t light well and barely stayed burning.

Maybe I just got a bad batch but I won’t buy them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: GFS Briquettes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 06:34:34 AM »
What kind of meats can you buy at GFS? Do you have to be a member?
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 06:42:59 AM »
What kind of meats can you buy at GFS? Do you have to be a member?
Nope.  No membership.  They have pork beef and chicken.   They have choice packer briskets and pork butts at grate prices.  Whole pork loins, spare ribs, ribeye and strip loin whole primals.   All at excellent prices. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »
So GFS doesn' t mean good for shit?!!!!! I figure it would be Kingsford.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
I love GFS and it is my preferred lump. I find that it is the best mixture of quality, price, and availability (ease of access) for me.

However, I miss Walmart’s western lump... damn that was cheap and had big pieces!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 08:05:08 AM »

I love GFS and it is my preferred lump. I find that it is the best mixture of quality, price, and availability (ease of access) for me.

However, I miss Walmart’s western lump... damn that was cheap and had big pieces!

Yeah? I actually wasn’t a fan of the Western lump. It was ok when it was lit...but starting up it was pretty stinky. I’d use to burn out my WSM or start my fire pit but rarely cooked with it.