Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello from South Carolina  (Read 1993 times)

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
Hello from South Carolina
« on: July 25, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
Man, am I thankful I found this site.  What a ton of info.  I've been grilling for decades, mainly on a gas for the last 15 years or so and wanted to up my game.  So like a lot of folks I stumbled upon AmazingRibs and the passion was re-ignited.  I already had a ThermoPop and have recently added a ThermoWorks Smoke and some Grill Grates.  I pulled my old 26" kettle out from storage and have re-discovered the greatness of charcoal.  Thanks to your archives and history I believe I have a '69 or '70 judging by the one screw wooden handle, metal side handles, and the Pat. Pending on the top vent.  (If I'm wrong, please correct me as pics are included)  This was bought new by my Dad and passed down to me.   About 25 years ago I replaced the wooden handle, ash bowl, and the cooking grate.  I've been trying to get in touch with Weber and researching to find some new grates, but have gotten nowhere.  Now I just found a post on your site with the model numbers listed and apparently they are still available?  I'll call when I have a few hours to kill.  I was interested in a Slow 'N Sear, but apparently the low profile model my kettle needs is discontinued.  Does anyone know if they have any squirreled away if you call?  Anyway, I'm glad I found this community and hope to learn new tips and techniques and maybe add to my collection of one.

Cellar2ful

Re: Hello from South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »

What you have is a Aristocrat. Weber gave nicknames to their kettles for marketing purposes.  You can see it listed in this 1968 Weber Catalog.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-catalogs/1968-weber-catalog.pdf

You may have replaced the lid handle with a single screw type but it would have originally had a twin rivet wood handle.   @zavod44  is/was the WKC source for wood handles.  Not sure he has any left for sale.  If he's out of the twin rivet handles, send me a PM.  I may be able to help you out with one.  Quite a legacy kettle you have.  It's great that you stored it rather than selling it. It's a real beauty.

Welcome to the Forum BTW.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and clarification.  I'll look into getting an authentic handle.  Did I read that sometimes Weber makes the original twist-on ash bowls available?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
Hello and welcome, beautiful heirloom kettle. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
Welcome to the Wkc.
Beautiful Aristocrat.
Occasionally there is a run of original style ash pans made by an Austrian member named Bertl. He ships them here and they are sold and distributed by Jeff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum @SCKettleBBQ . Thanks for the intro and photos. She sure is a pretty one.

I just bought new grates for my 26" Fleetwood. Part numbers are 66910 (24.75" cooking grate, $69.00) and 66911 (19.5" charcoal grate, $45.00) The cost was about $125 shipped.

Note that the legacy grates are not listed on Weber.com so you have to speak with customer service to order them.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:11:24 PM by zumbini »

SCKettleBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 02:37:17 PM »
Thanks so much for the valuable info. That’s exactly what the grill needs. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:05:58 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. Sweet Aristocrat !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 05:37:56 AM »
Welcome sir!  That is one amazing 26" you've got there and so awesome that it was your dad's.  Cool kettle history!  Looking forward to seeing some cooks that you perform on it.....

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:38:36 AM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.