Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Glen blue 26  (Read 24744 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Glen blue 26
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »
Patience Grasshopper

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2020, 07:59:09 PM »
Did her first cook tonight this is my first new grill I’m so happy. Took the recipe from the Weber app :)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »
I was so excited to get a Glen Blue 26er.  But then it arrived.  The other day after a very trying summer...which I won't go into here...I got back and decided to put it together on Sunday.

I'm going to make this brief.  One of the brackets on the bowl that holds the ash pan was bent.  The gap where the ring was supposed to be was so small I couldn't get the tab through.  Only two of the the three tabs on the ring would go through.  Then I noticed a large area of porcelain missing under the lip of the bowl.  It wasn't in a noticeable area, but it was there. 

I filed a claim with pics via the Weber site after registering the grill.  There are no bowls available at the moment, so I'm in limbo.  Today, just for kicks, I decided to put the taco handle on the lid.  I apparently never looked at it all that closely on Sunday in my original excitement to have a Glen Blue 26er.  Sure enough, there's a quarter-third inch spot of missing porcelain on the side.  So very frustrated, so I put in another request to Weber customer service today.  I don't want to take advantage, and I have seen other's posts on here about problems, but I hope Weber makes this right as I want them to keep making cool new colors...but at the same time, I want them to be done right the first time. 

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Glen blue 26
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »
Looks about like my lid.....i've contemplated using the original lid and naming the grill Marylin.  Pop is down and to the right of the vent on mine.  ; )  Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:49:36 PM by bamakettles »

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
Luckily scored a fire pit cheap, for the handles. Just a little bend on the vice and voila...

...adios, taco!  ;)

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:51:49 PM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »
Meant to post this pic:

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
Nice.... this is my first 26 and have been working out so I can lift the lid during cooks lol.....

Fat Tony

• WKC Brave
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
Luckily scored a fire pit cheap, for the handles. Just a little bend on the vice and voila...

...adios, taco!  ;)

The wood looks nice!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

JonesBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »
I filed a claim. I’m so happy with the grill, I feel guilty. My lid was scuffed and I found rust around the grate straps during unboxing. Weber is sending me a new bowl and lid. Weber’s customer service is by far the best compared to any company. The bowl may not be a huge deal to many people but I’d rather know for $400 I got a spare bowl in the garage if this one rust through. I hope the Glen Blue is just the beginning.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
Love those spin lines!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:24 PM »
I really do not think that is rust around the grate straps.  I believe it is just a light coat of porcelain transitioning to bare metal because it is a tricky area to spray 100% coverage without globbing tons of porcelain around the straps.  It doesn't appear to be out of the ordinary because I found similar spots on my glen blue 26 bowl and on a clean spring green 22 bowl. I have had the spring green since December and if it was rust I figure it would have affected the bare metal around that transition area by now.  I wouldnt doubt if someone with a NIB 70s kettle would find a similar spray pattern even back then. I am not criticizing anyone who was genuinely concerned by this, but I bet if everyone looks at their kettles a very large percentage of them will find something similar and it is very likely normal.

The grate straps will always be a weakness of the kettle even with 100% coverage unless they modify the bowl design to work like the ranch with a lip securing the grates rather than a strap.  My advice would be to brush a bit of olive oil around your straps to treat any small amounts of bare metal and get to cooking.

I get it when there are obvious issues of chips and blemishes on a kettle as I have received a kettle in the past with these issues.  However, I feel like all of the pictures and hype of this kettle all within a short period of time has every single person taking a magnifying glass to every square inch of the kettle.  I mean I would love to pretend that my personal kettle was sprayed to perfection by the Michelangelo of porcelain spraying, but at the end of the day it is that guy Steve on the assembly line. Steve may not be Michelangelo, but he still did a hell of a job in making a beautiful kettle.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

JonesBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »

I really do not think that is rust around the grate straps.  I believe it is just a light coat of porcelain transitioning to bare metal because it is a tricky area to spray 100% coverage without globbing tons of porcelain around the straps.  It doesn't appear to be out of the ordinary because I found similar spots on my glen blue 26 bowl and on a clean spring green 22 bowl. I have had the spring green since December and if it was rust I figure it would have affected the bare metal around that transition area by now.  I wouldnt doubt if someone with a NIB 70s kettle would find a similar spray pattern even back then. I am not criticizing anyone who was genuinely concerned by this, but I bet if everyone looks at their kettles a very large percentage of them will find something similar and it is very likely normal.

The grate straps will always be a weakness of the kettle even with 100% coverage unless they modify the bowl design to work like the ranch with a lip securing the grates rather than a strap.  My advice would be to brush a bit of olive oil around your straps to treat any small amounts of bare metal and get to cooking.

I get it when there are obvious issues of chips and blemishes on a kettle as I have received a kettle in the past with these issues.  However, I feel like all of the pictures and hype of this kettle all within a short period of time has every single person taking a magnifying glass to every square inch of the kettle.  I mean I would love to pretend that my personal kettle was sprayed to perfection by the Michelangelo of porcelain spraying, but at the end of the day it is that guy Steve on the assembly line. Steve may not be Michelangelo, but he still did a hell of a job in making a beautiful kettle.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I hear ya. It’s definitely oxidized metal. Weber didn’t like it either apparently or they wouldn’t have offered to send a new bowl. And honestly I would have been fine with that decision. I questioned it while filing my warranty claim for the lid and damaged leg. Maybe Steve was having a bad day because the NIB performer bowl I have in the garage has a lot better coverage under the grate strap. 

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #252 on: August 04, 2020, 05:22:00 PM »
When did the handle bracket lose those 2 nips that helped stabilize it? Was there a handle change or something? These dang newfangled grills have me all atwitter. Or...is my bowl flawed???!!! :/

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »
When did the handle bracket lose those 2 nips that helped stabilize it? Was there a handle change or something? These dang newfangled grills have me all atwitter. Or...is my bowl flawed???!!! :/

That’s how they come.   The standard handles are like clamshells and don’t need nubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2020, 06:00:31 PM »
Those nibs disappeared  years ago. I think around 2012