Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to get pizza off peel  (Read 18400 times)

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
How to get pizza off peel
« on: July 13, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »
Father in law shared how his brother has been getting his pizza off the peel for decades.

We were trying to slide it onto the stone sliding it into the Master Touch with Onlyfire pizza ring. Mistake.

We were told to put the peel onto the stone at the back and pull the peel out from under the pizza pulling the peel out of the grill.

Cornmeal helps the process as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rc

• WKC Brave
Re: How to get pizza off peel
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
Flour your pizza peel well before placing your pizza on it. Then gently shake the peel back and forth to scoot the pizza forward from the peel to the stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »
Flour your pizza peel well before placing your pizza on it. Then gently shake the peel back and forth to scoot the pizza forward from the peel to the stone.

Wifey put plenty of flower on the pizza dough and the peel too I think but i will mention that to her for sure.

I think our dough was too thin as well and after she did the third and fourth pizzas with thicker dough it worked well.

We’ve also heard to use a wooden peel to put in in as it will slide better on wood.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »
There’s an art to it which I have yet to master.  Too much time between cooks I think.  Going to try one night this week as it’s on the wife’s menu....

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
There’s an art to it which I have yet to master.  Too much time between cooks I think.  Going to try one night this week as it’s on the wife’s menu....

Share your thoughts after the cook.

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
Pizza screens.....

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 04:14:28 AM »
Personally I cheat haha.

I put my balls of dough on parchment paper then either spread them out by hand or use another piece of parchment paper and a roller to make them flat.  I won't put toppings on until right before I put them in the grill.  I will keep the pizza on the parchment paper when I slide it into the grill.  After a minute or so the dough will be cooked well enough that you can carefully slide the paper out from under the pizza.  The paper might burn a bit, but it won't hurt anything.  With this method I haven't lost a pizza yet. :p

If you want to not do it without parchment paper I know it is absolutely essential to keep the stone hot (600 degrees plus) and a fair amount of cornmeal on the peel to prevent sticking.   
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »

Personally I cheat haha.

I put my balls of dough on parchment paper then either spread them out by hand or use another piece of parchment paper and a roller to make them flat.  I won't put toppings on until right before I put them in the grill.  I will keep the pizza on the parchment paper when I slide it into the grill.  After a minute or so the dough will be cooked well enough that you can carefully slide the paper out from under the pizza.  The paper might burn a bit, but it won't hurt anything.  With this method I haven't lost a pizza yet. :p

If you want to not do it without parchment paper I know it is absolutely essential to keep the stone hot (600 degrees plus) and a fair amount of cornmeal on the peel to prevent sticking.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  I do like that idea!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 06:43:06 AM »
I use corn meal on my wooden peel.  Acts just like natural ball bearings.  Slides right off.  It also gives the bottom of the crust nice texture.   

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:46:38 AM by michaelmilitello »

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »
I do the parchment paper.  Spread out your dough on parchment, then I take a scissors and trim the parchment.  I match the outside if the dough.  I top the pizza right peel then. Slide onto stone, lift an edge of the dough and slide out  parchment after a couple minutes of cooking. 
This works best for me.  I’ve lost plenty off the back of the stone before I started doing this.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 05:49:05 AM »
I also use parchment, its foolproof. If I can make a good pie, anyone can.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 06:58:13 AM »
I prepare my Pizza on a wooden peel in which the raw Pizza Dough is placed on mix of Italian Brand Linguini run through a coffee grinder and flour so it won't stick when I place it on a hot Lodge pizza Pan placed on my Weber Performer Deluxe. Why "Italian Brand?; last February I took a Weber Pizza Course which stated that the Italian brand type of pasta has more starch which helps in keeping the raw pizza dough from sticking.  Tried this method around 6 times and it works for me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:59:48 AM by tibas92017 »

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »
Flour? NO. Cornmeal? Maybe. Semolina. Yes.

Flour is simply too fine to not burn producing a bitterness, if it even helps with the sticking at all. Water will coat AP flour making it actually more sticky than if you placed the pizza on a peel without the flour.

Cornmeal can work as ball bearings for the dough sliding off very easily. The problem is the sugar content of corn. It will burn very easily; again producing a nasty bitterness.

Semolina flour is a flour but with the coarseness of cornmeal. It still works like ball bearings but won't get bitter when it burns. In fact, the flavor compliments the char you expect on a good wood-fired pizza crust.

RedMeat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 08:06:25 PM »
I use corn meal with good success. Will try Semolina flour as suggested.