Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: greetings from Denmark  (Read 2078 times)

jeffwhit

• Happy Cooker
greetings from Denmark
« on: July 13, 2020, 02:36:26 AM »
Hi Everyone, I am actually a Kamado guy mainly, though I have been missing the simplicity of my Weber kettle, which stayed in Canada before I moved overseas. I have a little Smokey Joe I got used here and was my only grill for a couple years before I splurged on a Kamado Joe. I have a new American colleague who's feeling a little homesick. I just bought a Performer, I'd guess about 10 years old, for about $30 US- I found this forum through youtube as I'm going to undertake a restoration of the performer before gifting it to my friend. In the process I will also restore my Smokey Joe to use as a beach grill.

Which is the best section for the forum for restoration tips and techniques?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: greetings from Denmark
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 05:25:34 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga USA go to the home page and look on the right side for restoration tips
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 06:37:33 AM »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

jeffwhit

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
Thanks guys- I think I can handle it, but if anyone has ever restored the frame/legs of an older performer, I'd appreciate that too.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 10:59:11 PM »
Welcome from Vienna, this is a great place and also great people here!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:39:53 AM »
Thanks guys- I think I can handle it, but if anyone has ever restored the frame/legs of an older performer, I'd appreciate that too.

Are you referring to a 1rst Generation Performer (SSP / stainless steel Performer)?  If so, you might find this thread informative.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27447.msg267605#msg267605

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

jeffwhit

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »

Are you referring to a 1rst Generation Performer (SSP / stainless steel Performer)?  If so, you might find this thread informative.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27447.msg267605#msg267605

Seems to be a 3rd Gen performer, from 2010- maybe because it's for the European market there are slight deviations from the US model (for example, the ash basket is black, like a gen 2.)  Boy the cart frame did not age well. I will be doing some sort of non-original colour on the frame and painting over all the existing markings and using a custom stencil on the front. I completely dismantled it today and did an initial scrape on the bowl and lid with a razer scraper. The one touch blades were in near perfect condition once I got the thick layer of grease off with a soapy soak. There is a large amount of rust on the shelf rack and on the ash-catcher handle which will be the most work. I only had to angle grind one nut off the whole thing, everything else released pretty easily with the aid of some rust spray. Already spying a second 22" kettle to restore for myself.

Here's a little gallery of the thing: https://imgur.com/a/jAn2cm5
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:29:52 AM by jeffwhit »

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL U.S.A!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.