Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My meager Jumbo Joe mods  (Read 4269 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
My meager Jumbo Joe mods
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
Saw these somewhere and though they were good idea. I opted to put the thermostat in the vent screw, seems to work pretty well.

I wanted to do an extension for smoking but since the grill is for the camper it had to be something that would store easily. I used 6" flashing and decided to install a draw catch to hold it together. When I'm done I can just roll it up and hold it with a small bungee cord. It stores inside the lid. It provides about a 4" extension, should be enough for a butt or some BBRs on a rack.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:23:03 PM by Ashley Coalburn »

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
Re: My meager Jumbo Joe mods
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
Love it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:37:06 AM »
love the extension !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Meplat

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »
Slick mod for the thermometer.  Just this weekend, I was wondering where to put one and had all but decided there was no real-estate.  Is it a short stem so that it doesn't hit food?

M

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 03:36:49 AM »
It's not real long, but not a nub either. There's a chance with something thick on there like a butt or loin it could hit, but in those cases I expect to use the extension. For ribs, burgers, chicken, and typical grilling, I don't think it will hit. I'll try to remember to get a shot and measurement later today.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 03:59:38 AM »
Found this stock photo. Specs say it's 2" long, so I would guess about 1-3/4" into the lid, I'll check in a little bit. This is the 2" Old Smokey. I bought this brand because it got very high marks for accuracy from Amazing Ribs. $15 from Home Depot, but it had to be ordered. You'll need to open up the hole, seems like it was 3/8" or just a bit larger. If you tighten the nut just so the thermometer will spin with the vent but not come loose.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 04:46:05 AM »
Here you go. It measure 2-1/8" into the lid, so you have about 2" of clearance for food. Like I said no problem for grilling normal stuff, but you'd want to keep it clear of anything thick

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »
Here’s my JJ w/mods.  I’d say it’s similar in length and gets close to the grate.  Got the River Country on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
My meager Jumbo Joe mods
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 08:32:03 AM »
Oops that was the Smokey joe...this is my JJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »
I debated that location with myself, but it's close enough to the grate and I didn't have to drill another hole. Next time I cook I'll use my Maverick to check temp at the grate several times and see what the average difference is. It'll be close enough.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
That's nice work!