Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Didn't realize how crudded up the top vent gets from smoking. Made it removable.  (Read 2465 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
I know I'd read that the top vent on my Kettle could get very cruddy and stiff from use, but didn't know it could happen so quickly. After two, maybe three smokes the vent was really difficult to rotate. To the point I wondered if the rotating could damage the Kettle lid finish.  I'd considered trying to clean it with soap and water  in place but followed others' suggestions,drilled out the rivet and fitted  a stainless 1/4-20 hex head bolt, stainless lock washer and trimmed fender washer held in pace with a stainless thumbscrew. I also lightly smoothed the edges ot the holes and outer rim. Didn't think about trying the hanger hook though, and may have to trim the bolt shorter.
It was interesting to me to see the buildup, shown below.
Thanks folks for the shared knowledge here. It helps immensely.
Don

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:31:36 PM by Tallbald »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
That’s bizarre to me. I’ve been cooking and smoking for years and have never had that kind of build up. I wonder what the difference is.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Oh wait, I just realized that was the underside of the vent. I’ve never seen mine before since it hasn’t been removed. Never worried about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Mine had become almost crunchy feeling when I rotated it at the last smoke. Sort of hate that grating feeling it had and felt the need to change something here. Thinking it will help me in the long run. Don

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Don't be silly.

The buildup will help it seal when you are done cooking and to snuff out the coals to use for your next cook.

Same with buildup around the rim.

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
I see your point. I'll share that  I like the felt smoker seal I installed for sealing the rim. A nice cushioned sound too when I carefully lower the lid down. Mmmm. Sounds like I'm closing a luxury car door.
Don.