Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about controlling lump charcoal in a SNS...  (Read 3550 times)

Ndekens

• Happy Cooker
Question about controlling lump charcoal in a SNS...
« on: May 27, 2020, 02:16:12 PM »
Hello,

So I was wondering the instructions for the SnS mention using both the top and bottom vents to control temps. However these instructions are written in the sense that you are most likely using a briquette. So say im using lump. With that in mind has anyone (and im sure there are) tried controlling the lump charcoal like you would on an offset smoker? In other words, leave the top vent wide open and use the bottom bents to control the amount of oxygen entering in? In theory this should work but im thinking the distance from top vent to fire is just to short and direct thus you will have to narrow a margin of error in your vent adjusting to make it functional. I havn’t tried this with lump yet mainly because its hot and im short on time and i have no lump charcoal to test it but hey thats what forums are for right?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
Re: Question about controlling lump charcoal in a SNS...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:48 AM »
I am new to the forum and to my Weber 22 but I am NOT new to lump charcoal.  The following are some things that I believe to be true based on my time burning lump. 
1. Fact:  Lump burns significantly hotter than briquette charcoal.  With a forced air blower you can create a blast furnace that will melt iron.

2. Opinion:  Lump fires can be controlled more easily than briquette fires.  Explanation,  put lump into a basket, take a propane torch and light about 2" circle on the biggest chunk.  It will now burn through the entire bucket at a rate that can be controlled by airflow.  Do not use a chimney and then expect to easily control the lump temperature. It can be done, but, it is tough.  Control how much lump is on fire at one time.  This is fairly easy unless the grill leaks air badly.

3. Fact: Lump extinguishes and relights as often as you need it to.  It does not disinigrate in humdity.

Why Briquetts are easier:
1.  They are predictable.  Their burn rate and temperatures are known.
2.  Once lit, they can be more easily depressed by vent controls.
3.  Standard size so briquette counts can be duplicated to produce similar or close to similar fires and burn times.

I am new, and am learning my new Weber 22" performer using Lump.  I am using a Slow and Sear II with the water reservoir removed.  So far, I have had "runaways" both times, but, only because I used the Chimney.  I will use a small amount of lit lump to a basket of lump on my next cook. 

Another issue as always is the overall calories of heat produced.  Big meat will need more fire to hold the same temperature.  I will have to check to see if an end to end burn in the Slow and Sear will give me enough fire to handle a couple of 8 lb pork butts.  I may need to start the fire in the middle to allow two concurrent burn points doubling the potential caloric outputs.

Sorry about the rambling, but, never ask an old guy a question.  I do like lump more than briquettes, but, briquettes are easier to store, cheaper to buy,  more predictable in their output and burn times, etc.  I still like lump

Thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r rch

Ndekens

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:18:40 AM »

I am new to the forum and to my Weber 22 but I am NOT new to lump charcoal.  The following are some things that I believe to be true based on my time burning lump. 
1. Fact:  Lump burns significantly hotter than briquette charcoal.  With a forced air blower you can create a blast furnace that will melt iron.

2. Opinion:  Lump fires can be controlled more easily than briquette fires.  Explanation,  put lump into a basket, take a propane torch and light about 2" circle on the biggest chunk.  It will now burn through the entire bucket at a rate that can be controlled by airflow.  Do not use a chimney and then expect to easily control the lump temperature. It can be done, but, it is tough.  Control how much lump is on fire at one time.  This is fairly easy unless the grill leaks air badly.

3. Fact: Lump extinguishes and relights as often as you need it to.  It does not disinigrate in humdity.

3.  Standard size so briquette counts can be duplicated to produce similar or close to similar fires and burn times.

I am new, and am learning my new Weber 22" performer using Lump.  I am using a Slow and Sear II with the water reservoir removed.  So far, I have had "runaways" both times, but, only because I used the Chimney.  I will use a small amount of lit lump to a basket of lump on my next cook. 

Another issue as always is the overall calories of heat produced.  Big meat will need more fire to hold the same temperature.  I will have to check to see if an end to end burn in the Slow and Sear will give me enough fire to handle a couple of 8 lb pork butts.  I may need to start the fire in the middle to allow two concurrent burn points doubling the potential caloric outputs.

Sorry about the rambling, but, never ask an old guy a question.  I do like lump more than briquettes, but, briquettes are easier to store, cheaper to buy,  more predictable in their output and burn times, etc.  I still like lump

v/r rch

Thank you for the input!

I just got my SnS xl for my 26”! I cant really test out the theory yet because my house is being worked on and my grill is in the garage nor do I want to risk doing a long burn test out front.

Im interested in hearing your results! Please let us know when you get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

sacedric

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »

v/r rch

WOW!!! Thank you for helping me realize why I have been struggling. I have the remains of a bag of lump (Cowboy Brand) charcoal in my Performer SS and used that over the weekend to try and do some wings. But man oh man did I struggle with temp control. Got very hot very quickly. (Yes, I used a chimney to light). I am new to the concept of low and slow and I destroyed a brisket a couple weeks ago. After reading your post, I think I will use up my remaining lump for some steaks and chops and then go almost exclusively to briquettes in my new SnS.

This rabbit hole is long and deep.

Just throwing some chops and boerewors on a braai in South Africa was so much easier.  ;)
Cheers

Ndekens

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
Well, just this last weekend I finally used some lump to fire up the 26” and cook some ribs. This is what I realized. Using 22” kettle I could easily het the temps up to what I needed and control them with briquettes. Reuse of briquettes in a 22” or smaller worked. The 26” is a lot bigger and thus harder to get cooking with briquettes. Lump fired right up and temp control and feedback was way more responsive with lump. Also I didnt have to clear the ash nearly as much! Lump burns faster and on a 4.5hr cook at 275, I needed to add some more lump about a small weber chimney full. Lump tastes way better!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »
Well, just this last weekend I finally used some lump to fire up the 26” and cook some ribs. This is what I realized. Using 22” kettle I could easily het the temps up to what I needed and control them with briquettes. Reuse of briquettes in a 22” or smaller worked. The 26” is a lot bigger and thus harder to get cooking with briquettes. Lump fired right up and temp control and feedback was way more responsive with lump. Also I didnt have to clear the ash nearly as much! Lump burns faster and on a 4.5hr cook at 275, I needed to add some more lump about a small weber chimney full. Lump tastes way better!
How can I put this in the nicest possible way? Bullshit!

You will always have a harder time controlling temp with lump simply because you have many different sized pieces, The slow N sear works fantastic with briquettes, as it was designed to do.  Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Ndekens

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »

You will always have a harder time controlling temp with lump simply because you have many different sized pieces, The slow N sear works fantastic with briquettes, as it was designed to do.  Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Well I guess you are the ultimate authority in these things. Thank you for your input. I guess lump charcoal would be offensive to me too if had you vast amount of knowledge.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 03:49:05 AM »

Well I guess you are the ultimate authority in these things. Thank you for your input. I guess lump charcoal would be offensive to me too if had you vast amount of knowledge.

I have no experience using the gimmick known as a slow and sear [emoji12] but I agree with the op that in general, lump charcoal is more responsive to changes in air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 07:30:35 PM »

Not really the ultimate authority, but I do have some experience.

I actually do prefer using lump, over briquettes simply because of the reduction in ash.

As, I said, it is more difficult to control temp with lump simply because the pieces are various sizes and densities. Yes, lump is more responsive, but if you want to do the easiest low and slow without having to fiddle, briquettes win that battle. If I'm using the S&S either in a 22 or 26 for low smoking, I'll always use the best briquettes I can get, especially overnight. If it's a short 6-8 hr cook during the day where I am willing to fiddle, lump works.