Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Michigan Checking In  (Read 1617 times)

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
Michigan Checking In
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:31 AM »
Hello, all.  My name's Jason, and I enjoy cooking with fire - methane indoors, charcoal outdoors. 

I first joined the Weber family in 2002 with a Smokey Joe that I set up on the back stoop of my row house.  I don't remember what happened to Little Joe, but I got my first 22" Kettle in 2003 after moving into a house that I was renting.  I had to give that Kettle to my brother in law and set aside the grilling bug in 2006 when I moved back into an apartment with no good place to set up even a portable grill.  Luckily, in 2010, my job moved me to Michigan, I bought a house, and I was able to keep a Kettle for more than two summers.  Money wasn't exactly limitless, so I stuck with the 22" OTS, thinking that I'd likely upgrade to a nice gas grill in a couple of years. 

Well, then I realized just how much a person can do with a basic Kettle.  My whole outlook on grilling changed when I successfully executed a smoked pork butt on my grill.  I don't do a whole lot of low and slow, but I've gotten the whole direct/indirect thing pretty well down to a science.  My new favorite cut to grill is a pork shoulder steak - I saw some chef on the Food Network whining about having to cook one, and scoffed at him.  If somebody like me, with zero formal training and a basic Kettle can do what I do to that cut of meat, then he should have no problem getting good results in his high-dollar kitchen.  Anyway...

After ten years of dutiful service, my OTS has one sweeper blade that's hanging on by a thread.  I started looking at replacement parts, and by the time I've bought replacement grilling and charcoal grates (apparently I like to burn my grill hot, but I don't see any enamel damage) in addition to the new sweeper, I was approaching the cost of a new grill.  Other than a weird bruise in the enamel on my lid - it looks like the lid was dented from the inside - and a little superficial rust around the welds, the bowl is still in good shape, so it's definitely a candidate for restoration.  For the time being, though, I was able to present the business case to the Missus that it's had a good run, and get her to entertain the idea of getting a new grill.  My experience with my 22 has convinced me that the Kettle purists are on to something, so other than adding a few bells and whistles (and grilling area) I didn't seriously consider anything other than a new Kettle which resulted in me getting my new 26" OKP.

Of all the things that could have led me to WKC, it was the grill baskets that came with the 26.  The first time I used them, I wondered why I had been piling charcoal on the side of the grate like a sucker for all these years.  As well as they worked, I wondered if there was a better mousetrap out there, which led me to start researching the Slow n Sear, and brought me to WKC.  I was happy to learn that the 26" grill has been around for almost the entire history of the Weber Stephen company, and happier still to learn that if I'm ever accused of caring too much about my grills, I can point to a bunch of people who have it way worse than I do.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Michigan Checking In
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »
Hello and welcome, grate first post and you’re gonna love that 26’er.  First cook pics are encouraged!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. and a grate choice grabbing a 26er
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
Welcome Jason from Sterling Hts, where are you located in Michigan?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Unfortunately, the ship has sailed on the first cook pics, but there will certainly be subsequent opportunities to show off my handiwork.  I'm in Brighton Township, but I do occasionally make it over to Macomb County - Vince and Joe's is a better grocery store than anything we have in Livingston.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 06:38:28 PM »
Welcome to the club. It's officially the WKC, butt it certainly takes on an enabler function too, as you mentioned. We love our MANY Webers and seeing all of them only makes you want more. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:47:32 AM »
Welcome from Toledo Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 06:23:55 AM »

Welcome to the Forum.

I was happy to learn that the 26" grill has been around for almost the entire history of the Weber Stephen company, and happier still to learn that if I'm ever accused of caring too much about my grills, I can point to a bunch of people who have it way worse than I do.

Like the group of characters on"The Big Bang Theory", except with Webers instead of Quantum Physics. This place is known for enabling............
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 11:07:15 AM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.