Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Project Greenhouse  (Read 9291 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Project Greenhouse
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:31:04 AM »
So like everyone else I have mostly been stuck at home.  The wife has always wanted a greenhouse so here we go.

I also spent a good part of this last week staining the deck and landscaping the back side of the house and under the deck.   

Stage 1 - Construct a geodesic dome as the main structure.
Stage 2 - Construct several wicking planters.  (In progress)
Stage 3 - Paint the water barrels to be used for watering and thermal mass black.
Stage 4 - Start building the 2 ft base and door frame for the dome.
Stage 5 - Level off the site for final assembly. 
Stage 6 - Assemble the base and door structure with the dome.
Stage 7 - Link all of the wicking planters to the watering barrels for gravity fed watering. 

(Some pictures to come)
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Project Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:36:17 AM »
The first photo is an example of how strong the structure is assuming it is properly distributed.  Me being 175 lbs I think it should easily handle the snow in the winter.  Plus it is possible to take apart and move someday if necessary.  Planning on using plastic sheeting for the covering for the time being.

The second photo is the general layout of the greenhouse.  This should provide as many as 20 containers to plant plus a center container where my wife hopes to plant a fruit salad tree of some sort.  Should be nice once it is all done!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »
For whatever reason, "fruit salad tree" cracked me up.
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 03:55:27 PM »
Wife thought I was crazy for wanting 20ish planters, but now considers me less so after needing 13 or 14 containers for this year alone. Not the final layout of containers right now as we are just trying to do the best with what we have right now.   The extra 2 feet in height seems more necessary now that cages have been added to some vineing plants.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:13:45 PM »
It will be interesting to see.  I've thought about adding one, but haven't so far. 
regards,
Hal

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 01:26:40 PM »
What are you constructing that dome out of?  Cool project!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
The dome is actually 3/4 inch metal conduit that has been cut to length, the ends have been hammered flat, drilled for hardware, and bent to approximately 16 to 18 degrees.  It isn't overly complicated, but is WAY easier with a hydraulic press and drill press.  Unfortunately I didn't have the access to the hydraulic press so I had to use a hammer an anvil to flatten the ends.  The covering will just be greenhouse plastic sheeting.  I may also look to use some reflective insulation in the interior at some point.  The base and door framing will likely be pressure treated lumber.  I would prefer the base to be metal, but lack of tools and materials can be limiting. 

This website actually has some calculators in order to know how long each strut needs to be.  The metal conduit framing is very strong, but can be bent if you really try to abuse it.  Heavy loads (like myself) have to be distributed over several struts to keep them from damaging. 

http://www.domerama.com

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »
Progress... next week I might work on the base. Considering 4x4s over building a 2 foot base just to save time/effort.  Not sure if I will get to the door or not.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 05:34:33 AM »
Cool looking project!
What is snow? haha