Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can you have temp. too high for ideal cook?  (Read 11497 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Can you have temp. too high for ideal cook?
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:53:32 AM »
First time kettle pizza cook. 1/2 full chimney lid briquette on top of  full chimney unlit limp charcoal. 4 good size hardwood chunks. Within 10 min, got up to and pass 700c mark.

Top and bottom of the pizza was almost perfect within few mins, but inside at some places still doughy. Either the fire was too hot or the dough was not thin enough.

Still turned out pretty good and had lots of fun doing it. Will try less fire power next time.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Can you have temp. too high for ideal cook?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
Looks incredible. I generally preferred temps in the 625-700 f range when I cooked pizza on a kettle. Toppings can contribute as well. Veggie ingredients add moisture and those pizzas take me longer to get done in the middle. I’m no expert. Just my experience so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Can you have temp. too high for ideal cook?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
Looks incredible. I generally preferred temps in the 625-700 f range when I cooked pizza on a kettle. Toppings can contribute as well. Veggie ingredients add moisture and those pizzas take me longer to get done in the middle. I’m no expert. Just my experience so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I was not thinking about that, but you are correct on that one. Thanks!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »
The one to ask is @dazzo his pizzas are amazing

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
How long do you preheat your stone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »
How long do you preheat your stone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As soon as I got the fire started.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 08:33:44 PM »
I'd go easier on the wood. Keep wayward charcoal away from being directly under the stone. Get temps to 700 to 800 and you will have crispy crust and perfect topside.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:36:12 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:13:53 AM »
Pizzas look grate!  I need to try this again and I think I'll do it out in the yard like you did.  The high temps make me nervous up on the deck and I tend to hurry the process.  One thing I've read is to have the dough at room temp when it goes on.  Sliding the dough on and off the peel is an art I've yet to perfect since it seems the dough is always different.  Hoping to see more of these cooks!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »
Pizzas look grate!  I need to try this again and I think I'll do it out in the yard like you did.  The high temps make me nervous up on the deck and I tend to hurry the process.  One thing I've read is to have the dough at room temp when it goes on.  Sliding the dough on and off the peel is an art I've yet to perfect since it seems the dough is always different.  Hoping to see more of these cooks!
If you have issues with dough sticking on the peel, either use parchment paper between peel and dough for easy release from the peel, or use a metal peel, keep it on the stone for a minute or so, then pull the peel out and it will release with ease.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
I generally keep my dough pretty thin and roll out several crusts out on parchment paper.  I do not put any sauce or toppings on the pizza until right before it goes in the grill to keep the dough from getting soggy.  I believe you want the stone to be 600+ degrees to prevent dough from sticking.  I have ran some pizza cooks in this temp range and when I am not in a hurry that 600 to 700 degrees is probably ideal.  However, if I am cooking 10 or more pizzas I tend to run hotter so my cook times are shorter.  If you really want to try to dial it in thermoworks has some IR thermometers that work well.

The only thing I have noticed that can be troublesome with really short cook times is that some toppings may not be cooked all that well.  I would recommend always pre cooking beef/sausage and any thicker veggies like peppers and etc.  Otherwise the meat may not safe for consumption and the veggies may be more crunchy rather than a nice cooked  consistency.  The steel plate that goes on top of the pizza kettle can help with cooking toppings, but only so much. 

Jeez I really need to do some pizza cooks.  Have yet to roll out the pizza rig this season.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.