Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Change of taste  (Read 4762 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Change of taste
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
So if been in the game about 4? Years now. Maybe 3.... longish time. In the beginning I wanted everything to be mint. If it was damaged I'd pass on it. Replaced a few bowls due to damage. Now? I could care less when picking up a grill. Now the scares are welcome.

Anyone else's collecting habits change over time?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
Re: Change of taste
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
Used to pick everything up available, now just focusing on certain year kettles and of course a Glenn blue in any year

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »
I'm the opposite now and have been for a while. The grill has to be exceptionally mint or rare for me to go after it. With that said, It's still fun to score something new. I also haven't kept daisy wheel grills since 2016.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
I have flip flopped meaning I started out collecting newer one-touch grills. Mainly Master Touch and One Touch Gold. Then the vintage bug bit me and I sold/traded all my newer kettles and performers for MBH daisy wheel kettles.

I’ve thinned down to the MBH grills I’m keeping for the collection but I’m now starting to look at Master Touch and OTG grills again. My primary cooker has changed to a black OTG. I also cook on a Q320 some nights for speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:51:52 AM »
I joined a little less than 4 years ago and my kettle collecting habits have definitely changed over time.  I started with basic black cookers, but my eyes were opened after acquiring my first MBH.  Over time I went through a hardcore mod phase and then my collection skewed towards 18” MBH’s.  Having to move my collection certainly changed my perspective.  These days I’ve narrowed my focus on quality not quantity and I have less of a visceral attachment to the kettles in my collection.  I’ve had so many members help me obtain kettles and accessories during the last four years that I feel a proud sense of duty to help others check-off their Weber wishlist.   To that end, I still voraciously acquire kettles but with the intent of spreading the love. 

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 04:49:44 AM »
My tastes have changed also.  I used to grab just about everything I could, and must admit it helped me in the collection I have today.  Some of my finds  were traded, or sold(not so much) for kettles that I wanted. 
Now I try to pick and choose just the old ones, rare ones, or something I know someone is looking for.  Occasionally I’ll grab a newer one to flip, but that rarely happens and I end up selling them to someone I know looking for a grill, at the price I paid...or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 07:25:16 AM »
Mine have changed from grab everything to more discriminating.   I’ve also bought kettles purposefully to flip.   I’m not big on duplicates but I’ve learned they are good trade fodder.  I enjoy the cleanup restore phase and it’s nice to have one around to tinker with.   I’ve become a kettle “12 stepper” by helping friends get into charcoal cooking. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk