Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n sear?  (Read 3599 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Re: Slow n sear?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 06:26:55 AM »
Good info, thanks for sharing. I'm a new 26 owner. Just got the xl when I noticed how much harder it is to get up to temp. So I bought it because I like to bank coals. 

Reading this thread makes me curious about the snake basket too.
I have the SnS+ in my 22 and the SnSXL in my 26er.  I like the XL for the 26er because it is built to the contour of the kettle size, and holds more charcoal, which is important to me because the 26er is more difficult to generate higher temps than the 22.  Having the extra charcoal helps when I want to crank up the heat without cracking the lid.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

andrewshrm

• Smokey Joe
Re: Slow n sear?
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
I've used both SNS 2.0 and SNS XL in my 26.  Originally I got the 2.0 with the removable water tray because the XL was no longer being produced.  Once the XL went back into production, I CL'd the 2.0 and got the XL.  I figure Weberitis ended up costing me a good 70 bucks by the time I got the XL, which to your point is the most expensive option.

Comparing the two models, I like how the XL is welded and seemingly more heavy duty.  My 2.0 was pop-riveted together which didn't inspire a ton of confidence.  On the other hand, in retrospect I really appreciated the removable water tray of the 2.0.  I never bothered to do a coal count, but from what I've understood the 2.0 (minus water tray) holds just about the same amount of charcoal as the XL.  Doing briskets, I've taken a fully loaded SNS XL 10+ without having to reload it.  The 2.0 should easily be able to go 6-8 hours.

It would be interesting for someone to explore how many KBB briquettes each fits, XL, 2.0 and 2.0 minus water tray, just so we can all have one more semi-useless piece of information in our heads.