Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nuthin Fancy - but by Red 22 MH Clean-up  (Read 2533 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Nuthin Fancy - but by Red 22 MH Clean-up
« on: June 22, 2013, 05:52:07 AM »
Started with a CL find near my inlaws.  So we went for a visit.  lol  In the car!

Meh, not prefect, but I didn't expect it to be.

:o  :o  :o

Dafaq?!?

Since the leg sockets were frail at best, and I wanted to use this baby, out came the tools.

All 9 drilled out

Secured.  I cut the SS bolts flush with the nuts (on the bottom side) so they don't stick out too much
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Nuthin Fancy - but by Red 22 MH Clean-up
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:52:42 AM »
Trash barrel makes a great 'stand' for cleaning both the inside & outside.

Lid & Bowl are clean, but I had to pause before I got to the lower half so I put it back together

Fast Fwd to the next part - and the legs are coming along.  Nothing fancy, just various grits of sandpaper, steel wool, and Mothers Mag polish

Legs & pan are polished, but the triangle was beyond me.  It was heavily rusted and I got it clean, but not shiny. 
This --- is 'chrome rattle can' paint.  Actually didn't turn out too shabby.  lol

Together under Bman's Gadial Ganing (the other 22 & 18 still need their clean-up)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:00:23 AM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Nuthin Fancy - but by Red 22 MH Clean-up
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 06:57:34 AM »
That's awesome Bman! I'm hoping down the road to find a late 60s or early 70s 22 red. What did you use on the ash catcher? Looks brand new!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »
Nice work!

I see now that for my own cleanups I'll need to pickup a metal trash can. And a truck so that I'll have the proper leg refinishing workstation.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:09:55 AM »
Nice cleanup! Legs and pan look awesome.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
Hey Bman,
What size bolts did you use for the leg sockets? Do you think its strong enough?
Thanks, AJ
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
Thanks fellas...

Craig - literally, just various grits of sandpaper, steel wool, and Mothers Mag polish.  I have an orbital sander that I used with the 150 grit to cut through all the oxidation & stuff first.  Then it was hands on with the finer grits/steel wool until I was ready for the mag polish.  It's not perfect, but I'm guessing on a 40 year old grill it's close enough.

a-to-s ---  Ha, that's funny.  It's a plastic trash barrel, but great eye on the truck (tailgate) for the work table.

AJ - I just used #8   The leg sockets weren't completely detached, but parts of each one were.  Once I torqued em tight, I'm positive they'll last for the long haul.  3 bolts per leg = more than enough strength.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
That trash can trick is a real game-changer. My back levels better already.
One of the charcoal people.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
Bman, great job! But I have to ask about the leg position on the 18?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 04:32:09 AM »
! But I have to ask about the leg position on the 18?

Yeah, I ~knew~ someone was going to call me out on that one.  :)  Thats how I got it and I haven't taken it apart for the clean-up & reassembly.  Even as an 18, it's a PITA to move around like that.  Amazing people leave em like that thinking its correct.