Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the best Griddle/Hotplate?  (Read 3012 times)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: What is the best Griddle/Hotplate?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »
Sorry

Was too lazy to find the original picture

Anyway, things tend to stick on the Manturion griddle, so yes, oiling before cooking may help.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »

Thanks for all the responses! Potsie, the wok seems like a good cheap idea but the downside might be that woks are usually really thin and probably aren't too suited to cooking burger patties on etc because of the heat loss.

They’re more commonly known as “discadas” or old steel disc blades that have been turned into a cooking surface. I wouldn’t worry about heat loss with them...especially if you’re cook burgers (because you’re searing). The bigger issue is that it’s not flat (but I’ll bet you can cook some burgers on one). If you want a wok though...it’s a great option and they come in a bunch of sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! Potsie, the wok seems like a good cheap idea but the downside might be that woks are usually really thin and probably aren't too suited to cooking burger patties on etc because of the heat loss.

I definitely think I'll wait for a few months and see if I can score myself a manturion (just because I like the way it sits on the kettle) and because theyre a full size griddle, otherwise if I can't find one I'll look at getting a hunsaker

I’ve got the manturion from SA and wouldn’t recommend it. It is thin, as thin as any wok I’ve seen, and porcelain coated. The size and the rim are nice. Not very nonstick. Thermally it is prone to hot or cool spots. It does not behave like a thick piece of steel or cast iron.

This skillet might be nice
Bayou Classic 7438 20-Inch Cast-Iron Skillet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062WTS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9J-LEb2XAAADY

Drenno

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 05:34:03 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. I’ll check out some of the links you all posted in more detail tomorrow and go from there. I’m in no big rush to buy anything so I’ll try and find something that’s cast and relatively thick

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

tgreg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 06:07:14 AM »
I just received a discada from Southwest Disk ... they have a variety of sizes & styles, high quality product.
https://www.southwestdisk.com/

ChunkStyle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 07:13:02 AM »
@tgreg What size disk did you get? I've been looking at their discadas for a few days. Are you able to use it on your kettle with no mods?

tgreg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 07:22:08 AM »
@tgreg What size disk did you get? I've been looking at their discadas for a few days. Are you able to use it on your kettle with no mods?

so first off I have a 26" weber kettle - so I got the 24" Pecos discada with the horseshoe handles which sit on the edge of the kettle nicely with a bit of a gap all the way around. No mods. The thing gets crazy hot in the middle ... still learning how to use the sides vs the middle most effectively