Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the best Griddle/Hotplate?  (Read 3010 times)

Drenno

• Smokey Joe
What is the best Griddle/Hotplate?
« on: April 12, 2020, 12:21:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just missed out on an alloy? weber hotplate.

But I’ve noticed there’s a few different types and was wondering what the best griddle or hotplate is? Would love a full size cast iron 22” one but i can’t find one anywhere so would love to hear some reviews about some of the others. Can be weber branded or otherwise

Thanks everyone,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: What is the best Griddle/Hotplate?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:48:31 AM »
Hunsaker makes a good one. You can also get a Lodge pizza pan/griddle if you want something smaller than can work inside or on an 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:19:11 AM »
Love my hunsaker griddle!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 07:32:29 AM »

If you get lucky, like I did, I recommend a Manturion Griddle.
I found one used, but they can be ordered, I believe, from the Weber site out of South Africa.

They can also be used on an 18" kettle.

IMG_8309.jpg" border="0

IMG_8313.jpg" border="0
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Drenno

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
Thanks! I like the price of the hunsaker, I just wish it had handles like the manturion

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »
You could drill some holes into the steel & add some handles. 
I got one of the steel plates from a Pizza Kettle that someone else used as a griddle before.  Thinking of adding handles myself.

Thanks! I like the price of the hunsaker, I just wish it had handles like the manturion
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:38:01 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 03:16:53 AM »
I stumbled across this cowboy wok for $38 (I didn't look at shipping cost though) & initially thought it was flat, but there is a 3" depth to it, so it is like a very shallow wok.  In one of the reviews, someone mentions it worked out good using it on a 22 with the handles on the rims.  Might be interesting for some things.

https://www.agrisupply.com/bbq-disc-blade-discada/p/85077/?sid=asf10&eid=Easf10&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=85077&eid=gl020116&sid=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PbDw5rj6AIV1JFbCh0plA2aEAkYDSABEgKw1PD_BwE
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:20:26 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 03:37:28 AM »
Hi Matt, I have the Manturion griddle and small Aluminium and cast iron that for the GA. Get the GBS grill and then the centre small griddle for it as I won one on this page and it is the unreal as you can pull it out whenever and serve at the table within seconds.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 07:53:57 AM »
Mine came from a place that I had custom made with a removable Center sear grate. The Burn Shop ! My 1st thing I ever bought for any one of my Kettle three or four years ago
Ryan  Andrew Moore

Drenno

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:04 AM »
Thanks for all the responses! Potsie, the wok seems like a good cheap idea but the downside might be that woks are usually really thin and probably aren't too suited to cooking burger patties on etc because of the heat loss.

I definitely think I'll wait for a few months and see if I can score myself a manturion (just because I like the way it sits on the kettle) and because theyre a full size griddle, otherwise if I can't find one I'll look at getting a hunsaker

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 10:53:51 AM »
I couldn't find it on the Weber South Africa site, but I did find this:

http://www.braaishop.com/shop/weber-manturion-braai-griddle/

Current exchange rate puts it around $80.USD. There's a chance that shipping costs could be hefty... unless you're kinda in the neighborhood.

MacEggs, since you have one; can the enamel surface develop a seasoning, or does it have to be well oiled every time?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 05:42:35 AM »
can the enamel surface develop a seasoning, or does it have to be well oiled every time?

@Huh?? , it does not really develop any seasoning.
I generally give it a cleaning once it has cooled down, but I don't get too thorough.
I have done mostly breakfasts on it and I start with bacon around the perimeter.
Then the grease slowly covers the surface.

I would definitely recommend using oil or something if you wanted to start out sautéing onions, and then progressing from there.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 06:09:35 AM »

can the enamel surface develop a seasoning, or does it have to be well oiled every time?

@Huh?? , it does not really develop any seasoning.
I generally give it a cleaning once it has cooled down, but I don't get too thorough.
I have done mostly breakfasts on it and I start with bacon around the perimeter.
Then the grease slowly covers the surface.

I would definitely recommend using oil or something if you wanted to start out sautéing onions, and then progressing from there.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 10:50:14 AM »
BACON!

Dude, relax your chicken.