Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Limited WC Question  (Read 1717 times)

iBobEQue

• Smokey Joe
Red Limited WC Question
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »
How y’all doin’?

Little about me -

New member here, but not to the smoking community as a whole - I’ve owned various cookers in various price ranges and have been at this for the better part of 7 years now.

My question is two fold. I was able to find a new, Limited Red WC locally, however the store is still asking $160 for the grill. I feel the value is fair, not great, considering they were clearanced for $99.

To those owners today, would you buy one for $160?

Second, how is the red porcelain holding up after 1-2 years of use? I’ve read that it seems, the later batches, were much better in fit/finish?

Thanks for your time,

Nick
18” Kamado Joe  Horizon offset smoker
22.5 Red Limited Edition Weber 36” Griddle

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Red Limited WC Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:48:39 PM »
I wouldn't pay $160.  Under $100 of it is in really good shape.  The color is cool enough but not amazing. The porcelain spray on many of them wasn't top notch as it was done in China.

I have one. I took the lower parts off it to make my kettle pizza rig sit a little higher and will stop the red kettle into a performer cart.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Red Limited WC Question
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »
I have two.... one on the back porch as an “it can do it all, who cares what happens” and it’s done well, making pizzas, burgers and steaks and I really enjoy using it.  I’ve seen flakes of red porcelain on the deck below it, but I don’t mind.  One is in my attic, new in box and will probably go to one of my sons or whoever after my demise.  I got both for $120 over the holidays last year on clearance.  I’d say they are as good as any modern Weber of any color as they all seem to flake these days with any use.  Give em a hundred dollar bill and use it as you would any taco handle till it drops.  If you want something with a little more character, hold off and find an older one.  It’s SO much fun fixing one up and using it knowing that someone else was loving it 50 years ago......

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »
I wouldn’t do $160 after seeing one up close in Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »
I have two.... one on the back porch as an “it can do it all, who cares what happens” and it’s done well, making pizzas, burgers and steaks and I really enjoy using it.  I’ve seen flakes of red porcelain on the deck below it, but I don’t mind.  One is in my attic, new in box and will probably go to one of my sons or whoever after my demise.  I got both for $120 over the holidays last year on clearance.  I’d say they are as good as any modern Weber of any color as they all seem to flake these days with any use.  Give em a hundred dollar bill and use it as you would any taco handle till it drops.  If you want something with a little more character, hold off and find an older one.  It’s SO much fun fixing one up and using it knowing that someone else was loving it 50 years ago......

Well said
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

iBobEQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:04:40 AM »

What actually reignited my interest/passion for WC is actually the old ones and I have started browsing F/S ads locally to find one, as I read more on this site and google to educate myself on which models/colors I’d be interested in refurbishing/restoring again. Like so many, I skipped right over the WC cookers and went elsewhere; and ironically now, it’s all I’ve been reading about lately.

I have a brand new Kamado Joe that I absolutely enjoy using, but I also wanted to add some history, now, to my cookers, as I have a great appreciation for WC.

I appreciate the feedback and replies - I suppose now is the time to introduce myself and get to reading more and more on older models. :)

Nick

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer

iBobEQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 06:29:49 AM »
@iBobEQue

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/209629490346095/

263 miles away each way. Wish they were closer or I’d purchase.

Thanks for the link!  :)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 06:47:05 AM »
@iBobEQue  Your location always helps others to keep an eye out.
Amazed it was so close to you being I had no idea of where you were.

iBobEQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 09:08:21 AM »
@iBobEQue  Your location always helps others to keep an eye out.
Amazed it was so close to you being I had no idea of where you were.

I wasn’t sure if my profile has updated or not. I updated with location.  :)