Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Head Restore x 2  (Read 1401 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Red Head Restore x 2
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:57:07 PM »
Came across these two as a package deal, a 1969 22” Statesman and a 1973 18” Easterner in decent shape.  Both had caked on gunk inside the bowls and lids from ~ 50 or so years of use, rusty triangles and grates, faded whitewalls and stuck dampers.  But, very salvageable with minimal scratching in the porcelain, straight legs and triangles with solid leg sockets and all dampers present and in decent shape.  I spent the entire weekend working on them (excellent to focus on with the world issues at hand) utilizing the restoration guides on this group’s awesome web page.  Bought a pack of razor blades and scraper, fine grit sandpaper / sponge block, 0000 steel wool and a bottle of Weber grill cleaner and went to work.  I would never have thought that these would clean up so well.  Painted new whitewalls, new stainless Killa Grilla charcoal and SNS style flip up cooking grates and new ash pans and these two shine like a new penny.  Here are some before and after shots.  I could never have done this without the knowledge and support of this group.  Thank you guys for sharing your wisdom.  These will be cherished for many years to come.....

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Red Head Restore x 2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »
More before......

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Red Head Restore x 2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 06:00:47 PM »
After......New wood handles are ordered and on the way.  Hopefully I’ll have the courage to cook on them!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Red Head Restore x 2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
And a shot with some of the others in the stable.....L to R ‘69, ‘73, ‘75, ‘87 and modern day Jumbo Joe and Smokey Joe.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:04:45 PM by bamakettles »

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Beautiful reds [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »
Awesome score!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 01:22:22 AM »
Great job on the restore’s  and sweet line up. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 03:04:39 AM »
Awesome tribute too RRR and a nice looking group of kettles, you will get even more enjoyment from them when you cook on 'em Trust Me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 05:43:18 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm sure I'll cook on them eventually...Just rubbing them with a cotton diaper for the time being lol.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 06:02:09 AM »
Great job with the restore!  Those look awesome!

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 06:03:34 AM »
Love the redhead restores!!!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Dude I went from the wsm wheel comment to go look at your wsm mods. I came across this. So the ash pan and triangles restore you do, you gotta help me out and tell me. My process takes weeks because of the rust factor and aluminum tarnish and buildup. 
Thanks guys!  I'm sure I'll cook on them eventually...Just rubbing them with a cotton diaper for the time being lol.
Ryan  Andrew Moore

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 11:49:29 AM »
Dude I went from the wsm wheel comment to go look at your wsm mods. I came across this. So the ash pan and triangles restore you do, you gotta help me out and tell me. My process takes weeks because of the rust factor and aluminum tarnish and buildup. 

I can't take credit for the ash pans on these guys...they are brand new replacements that I bought from the guys on here that set up a group manufacture/buy.  But I did do the triangles using a drill and wire brush wheels.  It depends on the severity of the rust on the triangles as to how well they come out using that method.  These two were really easy and shined up nicely.  I've got another from a 1984 that was a bear and didn't come out nearly as nice.  I did do some steel wool polishing on the original ash pans and they came out pretty good, but I could never get all the dents out or make them shine like these new ones.  I must admit that when I did my first cook on the Easterner 18 I put the old ash pan back on and kept the new one in new condition.  Some on here claim they can get the old ash pans to shine like new..... have much better skills and experience in that respect than I.  Maybe someone else will chime in.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
@Bertl has a youtube video on how to polish an ash pan.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 10:55:50 PM »
@bamakettles our friend @bladz uses his bowlingball to bring the dents out of his pans and its shape. I pefere original pans and yes i uploadet a video how to polish ashpans and vents. Will share additional to this.....

Btw, i like your kettles and restore!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app