Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rust removal  (Read 3908 times)

danpeikes

• Smokey Joe
    • Meat Your Vegetables
Rust removal
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:04:20 AM »
I am restoring an old SUMMIT 650 NG BLK (USA). Any recommendations for a chemical solution for getting rid of rust on flavorizers?Ideally something I can just soak them in.
I am also looking get the rust out of the fire box. I realize there I will likely need a spray on solution and possibly a mechanical solution.  Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
TIA,
Daniel
Looking for 22" or 26" kettles and 22" WSMs, NIB or like new in the Chicago area.
Also, looking for old Summit gas grill parts.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rust removal
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
@Dave in KC @LightningBoldtz both of these guys know what they are doing on these gas grills I'm sure one will chime in and get you pointers
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:31:38 AM »
I am sorry I have never bothered trying to get the rust off of flavor bars.  If you are restoring to flip, I have heard evaporust works but I think it is really expensive.  If you are restoring for yourself why does it have to be perfect as they will get dirty after the first cook
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »
Evaporust seems to do a decent job, but frankly, I would take an angle grinder with a wire cup brush
or a really abrasive pad to them.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 04:43:16 PM »
For personal use.
Heavy duty putty knife or a trip through the self cleaning
cycle in the oven.  Warning!  Can produce lots of smoke.

As said.  First cook will color them and make em cruddy.

Who cares.