Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED w/ Performer U-Frame  (Read 697 times)

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
HELP NEEDED w/ Performer U-Frame
« on: March 10, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »
I recently picked up a Gen 2 Performer.
The front U-Frame is destroyed, rust I'm guessing.

I can pick up this one

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/uframe-assembly-p-1477540.html

or one from Weber for about $80.

Has anyone had this problem and found a cheaper albeit, legit fix? 
The plastic trim that holds the wire rack would hide any seams if
I were to try and replace the bottom portion of the pipe?????
Thanks in advance for any help you may have. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: HELP NEEDED w/ Performer U-Frame
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 04:40:25 PM »
If that's the price for 1 tube, I think I would try to splice a piece to the existing frame especially if the plastic will hide the joint. It doesn't look like it would be too difficult. If it doesn't work, then you could always go for a new tube.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 05:56:59 PM »
Find some piping with the same outside diameter as the pipe you have. 

Cut the u-pipe & the replacement pipe so that the joint will be underneath the plastic portion of the frame that goes around the leg. 

At that point, use a piece of pipe (or even a piece of wood) that fits inside both pieces of pipe to basically splice them together.  Drill a couple of holes (if you use another pipe on the inside use a rivet if thin walled, thread it if thick walled) and then screw in an appropriate fastener to splice it all together.

If using wood, it doesn't matter if round or square as long as it fits inside.  An old piece of broom handle (metal or wood) would work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:58:31 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:10:33 AM »

Cut the u-pipe & the replacement pipe so that the joint will be underneath the plastic portion of the frame that goes around the leg. 

At that point, use a piece of pipe (or even a piece of wood) that fits inside both pieces of pipe to basically splice them together.  Drill a couple of holes (if you use another pipe on the inside use a rivet if thin walled, thread it if thick walled) and then screw in an appropriate fastener to splice it all together.

If using wood, it doesn't matter if round or square as long as it fits inside.  An old piece of broom handle (metal or wood) would work.

Hal, this is exactly along the lines I am thinking that could be done. However, the problem is,
I don't happen to just have any of these items laying around.  I'm thinking at best, it would
involve a trip to the metal store (round trip 60 miles) with disassembling, gathering the parts
needed, engineering, and reassembly taking up the better part of a Saturday.  I'm not sure
that it will be worth all of that, especially when you consider the parts won't be free, we may
only be talking about $65 or so. 

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 02:02:46 AM »
Instead of going to a specialty metal store, I'd just head to the local Menards, Home Depot, Lowes. 
You will find a variety of pipes there.  I'd start by looking at conduit.  Since you are going to have to paint it, you could even look at the plastic pipe.  Head to the aisle that has tape measures & grab one off the shelf to measure the outside diameter.  Since the repair will be covered up, you only have to be close.  If you look around the house, you probably have something you could used for the piece inside.  (Obviously, measure the outside diameter of the pipe before you go).

If there is a flea market near you, grab a tape measure & go.  You might even find a Weber while there.  Check out anything pipe-like while there.  Perhaps an old canister vacuum metal "wand" might be the right size.

If you make it up to Chicago, you could measure your u-shaped piece & I'll compare it with the u-shaped piece they used on the non-performer one that has a table.  I believe I have one in good shape, while the other u-tube is rusted, but it probably isn't worth shipping.  If you are coming for the meetup & are not in a rush, I'll save it for you (assuming my memory is correct & one of them is ok). 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
I'm sure i got extra frames out there someplace but shipping will cost too much to be worthwhile.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 09:59:14 AM »
I'm sure i got extra frames out there someplace but shipping will cost too much to be worthwhile.

Not necessarily.  Please check your messages. 

racecarpete

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »

I did this exact repair about a year and a half ago..  There is a lot of room under that plastic piece to hide a splice joint.  The piping size is also really common if you look around your house.

I used the pole from an outdoor umbrella, the ones used in outdoor furniture.  Windy day, support arms snapped, rendering the umbrella useless.  The pole was same size, cut it down, inserted a piece between the two, bolted it up, painted black and put the plastic cover on. 

You can't tell at all and the plastic adds strength to the joint. Cost me nothing as i had everything lying around.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 06:23:07 AM »
If you are lucky @Dave in KC, you might even spot something you can use while out driving on garbage day or taking a walk on garbage day. 

My mom's washing machine "start" knob broke.  I did a temporary fix (wedging some cardboard against the plastic part that cracked & putting in a bunch of krazy glue, found the part locally & thought they charged too much for what it is & remembered they had some generic knobs at a hardware store that might work & would hopefully be cheaper, so I figured I'd wait a day or two.  On the way to work the next morning, I saw a washer & dryer out on the curb for the scrap guys, so I pulled over & removed every knob that wasn't basically a duplicate of another.  A couple of them worked, so she has a couple spares in her laundry room. 
regards,
Hal