Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ssp tanks  (Read 2834 times)

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
Ssp tanks
« on: March 07, 2020, 08:04:51 AM »
If you have one of the little tanks are they considered no good anymore?
Ryan  Andrew Moore

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Ssp tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
If you are talking about the 5# tanks you can have it recertified by your local propane supplier for a  reasonable price. I have heard some places will do it for free with a fill up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
It depends if you have the star valve handle or the triangle valve handle.  They are not supposed to re-certify/fill the star handled tanks, they don't have the overfill relief valve (OPD).

New tanks, with the acme nut are available.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/propane-cylinders-and-accessories/8221889?irclickid=xBoSv%3A3zExyOR0n0UfQwQyYMUknXJkVxpywCzw0&irgwc=1&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=Impact&utm_campaign=27795&utm_keyword=664347

I think this is the nut you would need to swap out on your regulator to use the above tank, rather than the quick release.  This is arguable a nicer connection than the QR.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/propane-cylinders-and-accessories/4120465
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:18:03 PM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:08:57 PM »
If you are talking about the 5# tanks you can have it recertified by your local propane supplier for a  reasonable price. I have heard some places will do it for free with a fill up.

My fill up place does not certify.  I think it was around $25 at a gas supply place to have it re-certified. 

Now, my fill up place didn't charge me to fill up up last time as it doesn't hold very much.  That was nice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:14:04 PM by ClubChapin »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
I had an old one WITHOUT the newer style handle that indicates it had overfill protection.  It had the old style handle BUT had a sticker that stated it had overfill protection.  TEBON'S, a family owned propane supplier in NILES, IL on Harlem Ave, re-certified if for FREE with a fill up.  Abouth $5 plus tax.  Nice guy.  Mentioned I should bring it back to him because others were unlikely to fill it even with the sticker on it. 

You can buy new ones at ACE & Menards, but I think they were around $60 or $70.  Worthwhile to keep an eye out for an SSP in worse shape that still has one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:23:49 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 04:31:36 PM »
It depends if you have the star valve handle or the triangle valve handle.  They are not supposed to re-certify/fill the star handled tanks, they don't have the overfill relief valve (OPD).

New tanks, with the acme nut are available.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/propane-cylinders-and-accessories/8221889?irclickid=xBoSv%3A3zExyOR0n0UfQwQyYMUknXJkVxpywCzw0&irgwc=1&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=Impact&utm_campaign=27795&utm_keyword=664347

I think this is the nut you would need to swap out on your regulator to use the above tank, rather than the quick release.  This is arguable a nicer connection than the QR.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/propane-cylinders-and-accessories/4120465
Star
Ryan  Andrew Moore

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 03:00:58 AM »
Mine is like that, BUT it has a sticker on the side that says it has overfill protection.  I assume there is nothing like that on the tank.

Even if it doesn't have that on yours, I would still look for a family owned place that has been around a while.  Assuming it is NOT actually illegal to fill those, a family owned place is the most likely to consider refilling it.  Chances are, the guy who fills tanks is the owner, has worked there long enough that he used to fill tanks like that before they had such safety devices & knows how to do it, probably doesn't like to turn away business, and knows that you will likely be a repeat customer because other places probably won't fill it for you.

Looks like Walmart & Home Depot have some of the lower prices at $43.75 (a 20 lb is actually cheaper).
regards,
Hal

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:27:59 AM »
I bought a new 5lb with the acme nut and replaced the connection on the regulator.  The 5lb tank is very handy for other appliances, torches, or as a backup for a larger gas grill. I didn’t care for the QD and it was not as useful as it could only be used with this one grill. 

The One The Only