Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Griddle for old genesis  (Read 3758 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Griddle for old genesis
« on: March 03, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
I recently picked up an old genesis silver in good shape. One of the main things I want to do is smash burgers. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good griddle?  I would prefer something that’s not stainless. I’m used to seasoning steel and cast iron so I’m more comfortable with that. I would consider stainless to I guess. Or is this a lost cause?  Should I just get a dedicated flat top?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Griddle for old genesis
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
It’s a three burner. I have roughly 17x23 to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »
I have one of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Grid-Griddle-Reversible-Easy-Grip/dp/B00008GKDQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2WLLA7N8NZZY4&keywords=lodge+griddle+grill+cast+iron&qid=1583281743&sprefix=lodge+griddle%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-5

And I, too have recently acquired a Genesis Silver (B). I have a bit of rehabbing to do to it, so I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking it will heat up just fine on top of the existing grates. I have used it on my Performer, and it worked well. I've been thinking of finding a local metal worker to make a griddle to replace the grates entirely, but I'm not quite sure where the safest place for a grease drain hole would be.

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 03:39:46 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention. I got my Lodge griddle for about $15.00 on Craigslist. Certainly worth adding to your search when you're looking around for oh, anything...

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
I have a Lodge griddle, but picked up a set of Grillgrates last year.
Flip them over, and they make great smash burgers.  Very pleased.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:12 AM »
+1 on grillgrates.com grates.  You can use them for smashburgers on the flat side and they make perfect grill marks on the other side for steaks/chops.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 05:11:19 AM »
On my Char-Broil....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »
I'm using a Camp Chef 16 x 24 Cast Iron reversible griddle.  Fits Genesis perfectly.  On Amazon right now for $36. I preheat it for 10 min of so.  Retains heat very well. I drilled a hole in the grease tray and it all runs down into the Genesis tray underneath.  Its nice to be able to do the pancakes, eggs and bacon at the same time.   Larry
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder