Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Upgrade ranch casters?  (Read 1175 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Upgrade ranch casters?
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:32:50 AM »
I was wondering if anyone upgraded the front casters of their ranch to something a bit more heavy duty.  I'm not a fan of the plastic wheels and would like to find something more sturdy.  I'm okay with the rear wheels.  Just hate the fronts.  So if you've got pics and/or links to parts, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Upgrade ranch casters?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
Probably not helpful, but I googled it and found this....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »
I put these on mine. I got the whole idea from @ReanimatedRobot and he helped me a lot finding the right stuff. I believe he’s got a very detailed write up on it actually!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=42492.0

Here is what I did.  You can message me if you have other questions or if you prefer to talk over text.  Always happy to help and make another grill friend.

The website I got the casters from was about the most detailed I could find for rise height.  You might be able to find some there without purchasing different rear wheels.  I just found it worked best as it was heavy duty, raised the grill height a bit, and looks pretty sweet to boot.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 04:36:17 AM »
Those are the monster trucks of grills!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 06:40:34 AM »
I was wondering if anyone upgraded the front casters of their ranch to something a bit more heavy duty.  I'm not a fan of the plastic wheels and would like to find something more sturdy.  I'm okay with the rear wheels.  Just hate the fronts.  So if you've got pics and/or links to parts, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

Those look like the casters on the SSPs. Here’s a couple threads about swapping this out with casters readily available  from amazon/ace/Lowe’s/hd.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=15278.msg151834#msg151834

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=15670.msg160582#msg160582

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 12:46:58 AM »
Hi, to screw the casters with brake I inserted a full threaded framework in the BBQ leg

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 8 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

BBQ are never enough

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:17:55 AM »
The benefit of using the rubber washer casters that I used is that it won't require any special parts other than an additional washer or two if you are trying to get perfectly level.  You just tighten the top and bottom and it expands the rubber washer out to make a tight fit.  You can even get rid of any plastics that weber has in the framing.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
Hi, to screw the casters with brake I inserted a full threaded framework in the BBQ leg

Mind if I ask where you got the casters and leg inserts?  That's a great addition.

Thanks,

Mitch

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 05:22:21 AM »
hello, the insert for the legs we made in the workshop with specialized machinery thread the inside to screw the wheels in. the wheels are easy to find in hardware stores

BBQ are never enough

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:49:44 AM »
@mcgolden, if using OEM Weber parts is important to you, consider using Genesis II casters (P/N 67067).  BTW, they are larger than the stock casters and you’d have to order leg inserts from another vendor.  See pic.