Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle 22" accessories  (Read 3361 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle 22" accessories
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 02:42:07 AM »
I’d recommend a chimney and an instant read thermometer. If you are smoking, a remote thermometer. With your kettle and baskets you have plenty of options for cooking. Practicing and experimenting, much more than accessories, will help you up your game. With experience you’ll figure out which accessories will be useful for you.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 04:39:12 AM »
Added to my Weber Performer Deluxe:

SlowNSear Plus(must have)
DripNGriddle(Must Have)
Easy-Spin Stainless Steel Grate(Must Have)
Good Pair of Welder's Gloves(Must Have)
Weber Tongs(Must Have)
Weber Chimney(Must Have)
Lighter Cubes
Thermoworks Instant Read Thermometer(Must Have)

All the above bought within the last couple of years.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:42:48 AM by tibas92017 »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 03:09:43 AM »
I’d recommend a chimney and an instant read thermometer. If you are smoking, a remote thermometer. With your kettle and baskets you have plenty of options for cooking. Practicing and experimenting, much more than accessories, will help you up your game. With experience you’ll figure out which accessories will be useful for you.

This plus Weber lighter cubes and nitrile gloves. Good set of tongs.

If you find they are into long slow cooks next year try a roti and or slow n sear.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 04:27:20 AM »
Some great ideas here
+1 on the rotisserie

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Frank Gospel

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 04:47:57 AM »
Definitely get the Spider 22 pellet adapter.  You can do some great low and slow bbq, but you're not permanently changing the kettle to pellets.  You can still do charcoal cooks. Awesome add on.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 07:06:56 AM »
I love my rotisserie.
My view is you don't need a lot of other stuff & can basically "make do" with similar things that are significantly less expensive. 

You'll see a lot of alternatives to a vortex if you search "poortex".  I found an old SS mixing bowl at flea market that was made in Korea & lopped the bottom off, for my "poortex"- very, very cheap.  Much of what the slow & sear does can be duplicated with baskets, also search "bigger basket or marty basket".  Yeah, it doesn't hold liquid & has openings on the sides.  Don't want openings on the sides, cut a thin piece of sheet metal & put it on the flat side (because the curved is facing the other direction anyway).  Want some liquid, put some in a SS container & set it right next to your basket.
Check out post by @Jules V. because he does a lot of stuff with perforated SS that is easy to do, accomplishes similar things to something you could spend some decent cash on.

One thing I did spring for based on a @Jules V. modification was a new SS comal (checked first locally for a used one with the right configuration & size, but there wasn't much of anything useful) to fit a 22" to cut the raised center out (although I haven't got around to it yet).  I'll probably look at some of the local metal supply places to check out the perforated SS he uses to make some of his neat toys. 

I'd try out your grill, have fun with it, & eventually figure out how you like to cook & what you really want to spend cash on.  I might even try & see if there is anyone near you with an item that you find interested that might either let you borrow it or let you watch next time they use it, just to see it used in person.  That way, you hopefully don't wind up spending $$ on something you rarely use or that you could have easily done for significantly less $$. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:08:52 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

LowandSlow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 08:33:33 AM »
 I have a SnS , dualprobe remote thermometer,  full kettle pizza setup ,and the weber gourmet system, but what I use most is a foil pan under my brisket or ribs to catch the drippings that I use for starting my sauce .

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »
I second using something to catch the drippings, even if you are going to pitch.  When I used my rotisserie, I usually have a charcoal basket on either side & I just take a big sheet a aluminum foil & fold up the ends to make a pan to catch the drippings. 

I also make this cheap aluminum foil pan for other items that don't use the rotisserie even if I'm not saving the drippings.  Some people even use a dedicated stainless pan instead.  There are many ways to help keep your kettle clean, & usually to accomplish a lot of other things.  My particular barbeque advice is worth about what you paid for it, maybe even less.  If you do some searches, you will find a lot of awesome things you can try.  Also, you'll find a lot just watching the boards.  I love checking out the mods, but don't go to that board often enough. 

I have a SnS , dualprobe remote thermometer,  full kettle pizza setup ,and the weber gourmet system, but what I use most is a foil pan under my brisket or ribs to catch the drippings that I use for starting my sauce .
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:56:50 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 04:43:22 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought the SlowNSear Plus 1.0 and their DripNgriddle Pan for my 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill and both are great products. Also, recommend you get one of those great "Thermoworks" Products to check the temperature.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
I love my rotisserie.

I am thinking of getting one, so, how many times in a month do you use it?  Beside Chicken, what type of meat using your rotisserie?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:51:24 PM by tibas92017 »

Jon Wik

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
An understanding wife

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 05:46:18 PM »
I use it for chicken & even a turkey, but I've seen others use it for a variety of other cooks.
After I started using it, I've wound up using it for maybe a 25%, or a bit more, of my cooks.  Typically, I'll have a basket on either side and often throw some potatoes wrapped in foil under the birds (I usually cook 2-3 chickens, depending on the size).  Other times, after the chicken has been cooking a while, I'll throw some sausages or burgers underneath the birds so they also cook indirectly.  I'll usually throw them over the coals at the end.

I haven't done beef or pork on it yet, but will give it a "whirl" when the weather gets nicer. 

Depending on where you are located, you might be able to pick up a used rotisserie for significantly cheaper & if you are lucky, you can get one "free" with a used kettle purchase.  If you are not in a hurry, just keep your eyes open for opportunities.  Even if you pick up just a rotisserie ring only, you can often pick up a used (or new, but for a no longer current model) motor & skewer for a gas grill that you might have to modify a bit to use (just make sure the skewer is long enough for the roti ring).

I've seen the rotisseries with rings for $80 to $100 locally used, but I always guessed that is mostly someone who bought it with a grill & flipped both of them.  I've gotten one complete one (older tabbed style) but with another brand of motor when I bought a grill & another ring only with another grill.  Picked up a cheap NIB skewer & motor to use for that one. 

I am thinking of getting one, so, how many times in a month do you use it?  Beside Chicken, what type of meat using your rotisserie?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:58:28 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 05:34:35 AM »
I'd spend $100 on charcoal and practice, practice, practice.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 07:06:40 AM »
An understanding wife

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Truth.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
All the items mentioned are good but a Rotissere is something that cant be dublicated.I have done Whole Chicken Turkey Beef/Pork Roasts so far...enjoy your Kettle and keep experimenting & reaserching!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app