Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle 22" accessories  (Read 3323 times)

gobirds11

• Happy Cooker
Kettle 22" accessories
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
How's it going,
I am putting together my weber kettle tomorrow and was wondering what else I may be in need of or want to get for it. I have all of the essentials (cover, weber charcoal baskets, utensils, etc.) but I have been looking online and on amazon at some more. The vortex, slow n sear are two accessories that I have been hearing about all the time but the price for a slow n sear seems pretty high at the moment. Is it that worth it? The vortex on the other hand sounds great for wings and indirect cooking. Other things I have found an interest in are the pizza stone by weber, the little griddle 14 for the kettle, and maybe cast iron grates. Was just seeing if anyone had experiences with these products or if you recommend something better/cheaper. Thanks!

Lomey

• Happy Cooker
Re: Kettle 22" accessories
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
I have both the Vortex and SnS and love them both.  Look for the SnS 1.0.  It can be had for $59 compared to $99 for the 2.0.  I think it works just fine. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »
Both are good accessories to have.  If you are interested in pizza I would recommend looking into kettle pizzas offering over Weber.  I have their ring, tombstone piza stone and steel top plate and they work fantastic and makes some of the best pizza you will have.  If you look for coupons from Westlakes and online bbq stores it can help lower the price and you can pick up parts of it here and there.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »
Welcome from Highland Park, Illinois! I should have checked here first before replying to your other post!

Using mod posts on this forum, I combined two weber charcoal baskets to make one larger one (size of the slow n sear). However, I know that the slow n sear 1.0 is a good product, and you can't go wrong with decent accessories!  I use the large basket for all my indirect cooks as it keeps the coals in place and stacked well while cooking.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:47 PM »
Accessories are nice but you don’t need anything. The provided baskets are adequate or you can bank coal to one side with no baskets.

The only accessory that I consider a must have is a good instant read thermometer.

Next on my list would be good heavy duty aluminum foil in the wide roll to use as a drip pan or wrapping.

A cast iron pan is handy to have if you don’t have one.

Also a rotisserie is a great option and really the only kettle accessory that can’t be mimicked without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
And in my case, plenty of beer.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »

Amen to that.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
I think you have the basics covered. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »

If you don’t have this ... than what is the point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 03:14:46 PM »
I recommend using your kettle for a while and do some research to see if things you find will be something of value to you.  I really like some of the upgrades I've added to my 2006 workhorse..... and I use my red limited edition mostly with the kettle pizza accessory.  I occasionally cook burgers on my classic reds but MUST clean them to new condition after each cook, so very rarely.  Here are a few I've tried and really like:

1.  Unknown BBQ lid hinge
2.  Slow-N-Sear 1.0 and 2.0 both with stainless drip pan
3.  Cable Gland type probe port
4.  TipTopTemp top vent cover to control temps
5.  Wireless temp monitor w/probes - I bought 3 but my favorite is the Maverick XR-50 and I don't use the InkBird or the Amazon basic one I bought
6.  Clip on cell phone holder that holds the XR-50
7.  Hinge Grate - you may have this already, I've not gotten that expensive stainless one
8.  Vent handle made from a file handle (youtube tom horsman weber kettle mods)
9.  Leg extensions (same guy, fun videos)
10.  Check out youtube videos - makes it so much fun!  PhilInFlorence, BabyBackManiac, Harry Soo, TRoy Cooks, BadBeastBBQ, MeatCranium, The Woodshed Smoke & BBQ with Slowhand  and many more

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 03:15:01 PM »
And BEER

One more, not an accessory really but I've discovered Nitrile gloves as well.  Been through a box of 100 and now on my second box.  Nice to have clean hands!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:40:49 PM by bamakettles »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Beer and beef. Perhaps tongs

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

gobirds11

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
This forum is awesome, thank you all so much for the feedback and input. I just put the grill together and I'm pumped to try it out tomorrow. A nice beer is for sure going to go a long great with the charcoal!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 07:13:26 PM »
a charcoal chimney and lighter cubes.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

29tx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 08:33:59 PM »
Lots of good info already. I want a slow n sear and might get one some day, but as mentioned earlier the bigger better basket has been my favorite accessory so far. Cheap too if you already have a drill. I've thought about cast iron but it's too humid down here and I know I wouldn't take care of them, but the hinged grates are really nice too. I want to get killa grilla or adrenaline bbq large hinge grate too.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842.0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:36:49 PM by 29tx »