Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reverse Sear Help  (Read 774 times)

gobirds11

• Happy Cooker
Reverse Sear Help
« on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:43 PM »
How's it going,
New to this forum and charcoal grilling. I am looking to reverse sear two bone in ribeyes tomorrow night on the weber kettle. It has been unopened since Christmas and I am looking forward to putting it together and grilling on it for the first time. However, this is my first time using a charcoal grill as well as using the reverse sear method so I have a few questions. My first question is, what temp is ideal for the indirect portion of the cook? I am guessing maybe between 250-300? I have a thermometer that has two probes so I was planning on putting one probe inside the steak and the other over the grate so I know what I'm working with. The next question I have is, I have seen on youtube guys that will swivel or slide their grate over the indirect and direct side while reverse searing. More specifically, the steak will be on indirect and they will just rotate the grate to the side with coals and do this multiple times? I have seen it a few times and was wondering if it really had an affect on the steaks or not. I always figured you would want the grates to be extremely hot to get some crust. Finally, I will be getting a bag of charcoal so lump or briquettes? I know that briquettes are easier to manage with heat and lump is hotter so just curious what input anyone has. I have cooked many steaks on gas grills before so I am not completely clueless and I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube about charcoal as well so I'm hoping they'll turn out great. Thanks for any advice and input!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Reverse Sear Help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »
I'm relatively new to reverse searing (last year or so), but when I do, I employ it with ribeyes with good success. If you have temperature probes, you shouldn't need the ambient temp one - just the meat probe one. Typically my ribeyes are at least 16oz (1.5 inches thick). The thickness impacts how long you should sear them.  Season your ribeyes generously at least an hour in advance and let them come up to room temperature.

I typically use one full canister of regular charcoal briquettes, and set up for indirect cooking.  Once I get the coals arranged, I place my grill grate on top with the lid on, vents fully open (top and bottom).  Insert the temperature probe into the thickest part of the largest ribeye and use that as your temp guide.  Put steaks on the side without coals, close the lid again with the top vent over the steaks and wait for the temperature of the steak to come up to 100 degrees (during this time, you don't need to flip it or mess with it at all). Once the temp reaches 100, open the lid and take the probe out (this is where the reverse sear comes into play). Spin the grate with the steaks still on the grate so that they now sit above the coals directly. Put the lid on and wait one minute. After one minute, flip the steaks to the other side of the grate and spin the grate again so the steaks are over the coals directly once again. Put the lid on and wait one minute. Note: The searing part moves quicker than you expect when doing this for the first time, so be ready with a timer, tongs, a platter and gloves to spin the grate.  For me, one minute of searing per side is plenty. I'll take the steaks off, cover them with foil to rest for 5 minutes. If you like medium rare, this amount of rest should be perfect to get them to 130 degrees. If you like medium, let them rest for a total of 10 minutes.  For thinner steaks, I wouldn't sear for more than 20-30 seconds per side (or you could take the steaks off at 90 degrees and sear for one minute per side - not sure if that would work, but it's probably worth a try).  The reason for the grate spinning is that you'll effectively be searing your steaks on a "cold" grate which results in a greater overall sear on the meat and not so much from the grill grate bars themselves (minimizes the sear marks from the grate).

One other note on searing, some like to prepare more hot coals while the steaks are cooking indirectly to add to the existing hot coals once the steaks are reaching 100 degrees.  They dump those new coals on top of the existing coals for a super hot zone.  I personally think that's unnecessary, but it definitely creates a thorough sear!

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
And one last thing - to answer your question on temperature, by leaving the vents wide open top and bottom, you'll probably run at 300-350 degrees for your indirect portion. No need to low-and-slow this one - get that ribeye up to temp to you can sear that sucker!  You want the direct coals side to be blazin' - like 500, so you can get a good sear.  Truthfully, I don't check the temps there - I know when I spin the grate to put my steaks over an entire chimney of hot coals, it's gonna be hot enough to sear.

Lastly - have fun! Charcoal grilling is a labor of love!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:55:41 PM »
If you’re using the standard Weber grate, it will not spin all the way.  The spinning grate is an aftermarket grate.  The spin is not necessary to cook a good steak either. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:07:56 PM »
I might be all alone here but I have better luck with a good sear and then finish indirect to temp. Just works better for me.

gobirds11

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »
Thank you all for your input! Since I do not have the grate to rotate it (yet) I will just do it how I normally would. I am going to try reverse searing and I am looking forward to posting more on this forum in the future. Thanks a lot guys!!!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 06:20:34 AM »
If you’re using the standard Weber grate, it will not spin all the way.  The spinning grate is an aftermarket grate.  The spin is not necessary to cook a good steak either. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard people say that, but I use an original Weber grate, and it spins just fine by me using a glove to take hold of the grate handle and my other hand holding the grill bowl handle to steady it as I spin the grate around.  I'm sure I must lift the grate up a bit as I spin it (so it doesn't hit the bracket), but I've never gotten stuck mid-spin where I had to wholesale pick up the grate off the bracket and turn it.

Having said all that - you're right about it not being necessary to cook a good steak.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »
I’m on team no spin but experimenting with different techniques is half the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:54 AM »

I might be all alone here but I have better luck with a good sear and then finish indirect to temp. Just works better for me.
Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club