Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Custom Killa Grilla grates  (Read 1202 times)

Cellar2ful

Custom Killa Grilla grates
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
I have two 18"ers in my cooking rotation.  I use them when I'm cooking for just my wife and I and I don't want leftovers.  I had one 18" Killa Grilla grate with no flip up doors which they both shared.

I like throwing a couple pieces of apple wood on the briquettes for almost everything I cook.  It adds a sweet smoke essence and also spikes the temps in the kettle.  I know you can put them on top of a grate but that doesn't do me much good on shorter duration cooks like cooking salmon (11 minutes indirect).  To accomplish this, after heating the kettle and grate for 10 minutes I would have to put on gloves and lift out the grate.  Then balance it on the edge of the kettle while throwing wood on both charcoal baskets.  Then put the grate back in place and put the food on.  Well last month in performing this routine, I missed one of the grate straps in putting the grate back in place.  It fell into the charcoal basket, dumping the charcoal into my aluminum foil drip pan.  Needless to say it was a pain in the ass picking up the hot coals and dropping them back in the basket one by one, while balancing the hot grate.  Oh and of course the apple wood had already ignited and was smoking good.  Man did my clothes stink that evening. 

After this incident, I decided it was time to find a remedy.  Killa Grilla had a single flip up door 18" model listed on their website.  Thing is I prefer to cook using charcoal baskets on each side when cooking indirect.  I messaged with the owner (Mark) of Killa Grilla and these are the custom grates he made for me.

Since the majority (99.9 %) of my cooks on these kettles are indirect, I didn't feel there was a need to have the flip up doors. I had him omit 3 bars on each side of the grate. This allows me to easily add the apple wood without having to use tongs lifting flip up doors. In doing this, it also made the grates a bit lighter which helps in moving the kettles around.   May not work for some of you but for me, this will work perfectly. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:25:33 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Custom Killa Grilla grates
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
i fricken love my killa grilla grate

i like the customization!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »
Wow that is sweet!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:46:10 AM »
I really like those modded grates
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 05:23:51 AM »
Very well played

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:26:04 AM »
What else would you expect from a guy that's retired LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 05:50:56 AM »
i fricken love my killa grilla grate

i like the customization!

I agree.  If you have a go to grill and wanted to make it an ultimate no-compromise grill a set of Killa Grilla Grates would be at the top of my list of add-ons.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 06:34:48 AM »
This is a perfect example of something my dad used to say: it'll always be "no" unless you ask.  Very cool!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again