Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2002 Blue SS Peformer requires repair  (Read 538 times)

ventana

• Happy Cooker
2002 Blue SS Peformer requires repair
« on: January 27, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »
Has anyone modified the SS frame for improved strength?  The frame on my 2002 SS Performer has begun to loosen with age and use to the point it has started to lean. The lean is quite noticeable. From strictly a design point of view it looks like it could use some sort of diagonal brace. Has anyone here attempted this? I'm going to try to fix the frame so it stays square and make my own bottom shelf. I'm planning on purchasing one of the Canadian-made stainless steel, rotisserie/smoker rings so I'm thinking the additional height/weight will require better support.
I purchased my Blue SS in 2002 from a local True Value hardware store here in Des Moines, IA. They assembled it and forgot to include the wire bottom shelf (I didn't know better back then).  In the last two years I've had to replace both casters, the old-style wire charcoal baskets (current stamped steel version is all you can get), the lower charcoal grill, the ignition module and have the propane tank re-certified because of its age.  Even with the required repairs it is still one fantastic grill.

Have Fun;
Ventana

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
2002 Blue SS Peformer requires repair
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 06:35:06 AM »
Hello and welcome.  Sounds like you need to replace the 4 star nuts inside the cross-supports.  An easy fix once you source them.  I’ve heard of members using long threaded rods through the entire cross-supports for extra strength, but I just replace the OEM hardware with stainless steel hardware.  Let us know how else we can help.

Screenshot of my order from McMaster-Car.  Looks like each pack comes with 10, so I may have some floating around if you need them. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:36:50 AM by Mr.CPHo »

ventana

• Happy Cooker
Re: 2002 Blue SS Peformer requires repair
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »
Mr. CPHo;
    Thanks for the information. I was planning on dismantling the kettle from the frame soon so I can get my Weber back in shape in time for Spring BBQ weather.  It could stand with a good clean and polish. Those 1/4-20 star nuts should be available locally but if not I will order them from McMaster- Carr. I'll start the repair with the star nuts and see how it goes.  I can see how two lengths of some stainless steel all thread 1/4-20 rod and keeper nuts would provide some extra strength. If it turns out the additional weight of the planned smoker rings ring requires it I can always try that method as well.  Appreciate your help.  I'll post some photos when I get the repair finished. Take care.
Have Fun;
Ventana

jmbaute

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »
Hello and welcome.  Sounds like you need to replace the 4 star nuts inside the cross-supports.  An easy fix once you source them.  I’ve heard of members using long threaded rods through the entire cross-supports for extra strength, but I just replace the OEM hardware with stainless steel hardware.  Let us know how else we can help.

Screenshot of my order from McMaster-Car.  Looks like each pack comes with 10, so I may have some floating around if you need them.
Thanks for this, exactly what I came here looking for!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »
I would also recommend ordering new square tubing from McMaster Carr. The insides of your old tubes can be quite rusty. They sell .065" and .083" thick wall square tubing. I have rebuilt a few but do not have the part #'s handy. $3-4 @ foot for the tubing if I remember correctly 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »
Another place to inspect is the top frame, bowl side.  There are metal tabs welded to the frame that drop into the legs and are bolted to the legs.  Sometimes the frame cracks along that area and causes a lean, in which case you will need a high heat epoxy putty (Quick Steel or something like it) to mend the cracks.  You can pop off the tubing plugs on the upper frame and usually see if it is cracked or not. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;