Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber at CES this year  (Read 1828 times)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Weber at CES this year
« on: January 06, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/06/webers-new-smart-grilling-hub-uses-june-tech-to-make-everyone-a-grillmaster/

Smart thermometer?

Might be another neat and unneeded tool... that I end up with.

Not too much more than other 4 probe thermometers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 06:07:47 PM by Red_5_Wrangler »
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber at CES this year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 04:22:51 PM »
Hmmm, almost 2 years ago now, I took part in a product survey for a Weber that was for a wireless connector/signal booster (WiFi as opposed to Bluetooth) for the igrill and haven’t heard anything about it since.  I wonder if this is taking it’s place.  If so, and it uses wireless connectivity I will definitely be picking one up.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Sprinkler76

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 06:01:56 PM »
I just got an email from Weber with a link to their website for a promo video. Looks pretty cool. $129

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 04:00:37 AM »
If it comes with 4 probes the price isn't that bad.  Especially when I wouldn't doubt if it sells in the $100 ballpark from time to time. Apparently it even has settings to tell you when to flip your steak and etc.

If I found one for a good price I would consider it. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 04:52:54 AM »
Sure looks exciting in the video. Yet another grilling item that'd be fun to have.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:24:43 AM »
Looks nice, but I already have 3 temp probe setups lol.....

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
I look at this as taking some of the fun (read: imperfect science) out of grilling. I've already got the four-port iGrill, so I can monitor temps in a variety of ways (although I've never used more than 2 at once at this point), and it's wireless through my iPhone.  I'll admit that it's definitely helped me improve my skills.  But "flip food" alerts, food readiness countdown and "serve now" alerts just seem unnecessary. If it alerts you to serve your roast immediately but the family's not ready to eat yet, would the meat be ruined waiting another 5 minutes? Of course not. I'm sure it would be considered useful for others, but I'll stick with what I have.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Weber at CES this year
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
This can now be purchased through the Weber website and in stores.  I will eventually pull the trigger on it, right now I am trying to find out how many probes come with it.

Edit: Looks as though it comes with 2...a meat and an ambient.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
I know some folks need hand holding when it comes to grilling, but sheesh..... I can't help but think this stems from all those participation trophies we hand out to kids year after year....
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
I finally broke down & started using some analog (dial) temperature gauges.  One sits on the grate & I check for doneness with the other.  Frankly, I don't even know if you can just leave those ones in or not & I really don't care.  For me, half the fun is taking a peek every once in a while to see how it is looking.  If I wanted "set it & forget it", I probably would have bought something from Ron Popeil. 
regards,
Hal

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »
Wifi enabled
Bluetooth enabled
4 probe capabilities
Not the size of a porterhouse like many are
USB charged
Oh and it says Weber on it!

I have not bought it yet but I will be picking it up sometime soon.

I am not going to use the flip options but it won't hurt to have it. When just cooking some chuck or pork butt, I agree just peek at it and crack a few cold ones while you play with fire and vents.

There are other times tho when cooking completely different meats together and running the kids around town... needing to get the brisket and some chickens done at the same time to feed the 30 people coming over later for BBQ.
Oh shit they are here early and already drinking.
Now it's an hr before the time for the BBQ to start but you and some family members are already buzzing and are 30min into an hr worth of story telling.

It might be nice to get a reminder to get the brisket out to rest while you kick up the heat to crisp and finish the chickens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »

I know some folks need hand holding when it comes to grilling, but sheesh..... I can't help but think this stems from all those participation trophies we hand out to kids year after year....

Yes, we know...you voiced this opinion in the thread a couple of weeks ago.  Weber is trying to cater to all grillers, not just the nuts who have 10 or more grills and don’t go to steak houses or bbq joints because “their food is better.”  They are looking to help out everyone, from the casual once a month to the hardcore smoker who is looking for something to monitor temps because they are doing overnights on different cuts of meat.  From the people just starting out who might benefit from the guides to those of us who don’t need the guides and will be buying it for the convenience of being able to monitor temps while we are inside or maybe have to run an errand while a pork butt is on the smoker. Yes, you are right some folks might need a little hand holding when they are starting out, but what is wrong with that?  Not sure where your correlation of participation trophies (which I am against)and this wireless hub and app is coming from?  Participation trophies prevent the overly sensative from getting their feelings hurt, this is to try and help grillers get the hang of it.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »
Great point.  In the end, things like this help people get more comfortable with the joys of cooking on grills, smoker, etc. 

Yes, we know...you voiced this opinion in the thread a couple of weeks ago.  Weber is trying to cater to all grillers, not just the nuts who have 10 or more grills and don’t go to steak houses or bbq joints because “their food is better.”  They are looking to help out everyone, from the casual once a month to the hardcore smoker who is looking for something to monitor temps because they are doing overnights on different cuts of meat.  From the people just starting out who might benefit from the guides to those of us who don’t need the guides and will be buying it for the convenience of being able to monitor temps while we are inside or maybe have to run an errand while a pork butt is on the smoker. Yes, you are right some folks might need a little hand holding when they are starting out, but what is wrong with that?  Not sure where your correlation of participation trophies (which I am against)and this wireless hub and app is coming from?  Participation trophies prevent the overly sensative from getting their feelings hurt, this is to try and help grillers get the hang of it.

regards,
Hal

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »
I like that it is wifi and bluetooth. I have a couple of Igrill2's that don't have much more than 20' of range. I  like using them for overnight brisket and butt cooks but hate the fact that they lose connection and set off the annoying alarm when I am trying to sleep. I have been cooking overnight without the Igrill but I am afraid one of these nights my snake may fail and have a nice prime brisket go bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere