Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: StarLiner Launch!  (Read 1501 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
StarLiner Launch!
« on: December 20, 2019, 03:17:19 AM »
Boeing sent it's CST-100 capsule - the StarLiner - into space this morning. Unmanned for this test, but looking good so far for a manned mission early in the New Year. The commander of the final shuttle mission - Chris Ferguson - will pilot the first manned mission of StarLiner. I was involved in the first public display of the capsule shown below - a full scale mockup used for testing and configuration - at an event I attended in Abu Dhabi in 2014. Will fit four astronauts and some cargo, but it's tight. Believe me, getting it from the US to Abu Dhabi was almost as difficult as getting it to space! In 2016 I was again involved in the display of the first functioning control system mockup. (Basically an ipad and a joystick.) I was actually able to dock it to the ISS on the first try!  8) A few years later and it's reality. Go StarLiner!

Marty
Retired

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: StarLiner Launch!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:19:50 AM »
Wow, awesome news, and it's badass looking too
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 03:56:06 AM »
My friend caught these pics this morning here at work at the ATL airport, Starliner shrieking across the sky very cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 04:15:26 AM »
Wow, that must have been one cool sight to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 06:51:19 AM »
That is awesome! God bless the USA!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 07:00:57 AM »
Bit of a setback as the capsule did not reach the right orbit. Sigh...They will bring it back in a couple days to check it out. It's why we test these things before risking human lives. 
Retired

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
That's a bummer - I was hoping for some good news!

"Excuse me, stewardess, is there a movie on this flight?"
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
Will this get us past the Van Allen belt? I'm trying to see some moon footage with cameras from this millennia.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »
Forgive me if I don't really trust Boeing. 737Max bs comes to mind.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
StarLiner Launch!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
Bit of a setback as the capsule did not reach the right orbit. Sigh...They will bring it back in a couple days to check it out. It's why we test these things before risking human lives.

Yeah I saw that. I was on shift when the launch happened. My part in the grand scheme is to make sure you didnt get shwacked by any debris and/or other sats in space. My main focus day to day is the ISS and that includes all vehicles to and fro. I was rooting for Starliner because the screening we do to clear you is fun. I’m glad it wasn’t a total loss though. I know at least you’ll get to test out that fancy New Mexico landing site [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:07:21 PM by Vwbuggin64 »
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »
I thought the technology was tested in the '60's, '70's when we managed to land man on the moon.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »
Is this the new Space Force Cruiser they're going to use to pull over Elon Musk with, after they smell marijuana coming from his car...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need