Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Grates?  (Read 1734 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Cast Iron Grates?
« on: December 16, 2019, 04:20:15 AM »
Owning 3 Weber Grills, with multiple accessories...what cast iron grate is the best?

Ceramic coated? Seasoned? Best buy for the $$$?

I have the Weber center heavy grate item and it is awesome. But it would be nice to have the entire cooking area with the heavy grate, as it cooks better with awesome grill marks. Burgers and steaks actually taste better!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cast Iron Grates?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 05:46:47 AM »
Personally, my favorite all time grate(not just CI) is the one from Stok grills. I got it for free since someone put their Stok out on the curb!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 06:29:06 AM »
I use Craycort cast iron seasoned grill grate. Here is a video I did a while back comparing the Craycort against a stock Weber grill grate... steak cook off...

Craycort Cast Iron Grill Grate vs Weber Grill Grate - Tenderloin Grilled Steak Cook Off!!

https://youtu.be/0tzL2baBnBE

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:34:11 PM by View to a Grill »
View to a Grill on YouTube

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 08:12:20 AM »
I've been letting cast iron grates rust for years, I love using them just can't seem to remember to take care of them
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
Plus one
I've been letting cast iron grates rust for years, I love using them just can't seem to remember to take care of them

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 11:58:07 AM »
Sounds like a new video.... cast iron upkeep...

View to a Grill on YouTube

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »

It would have to be a motivational video about getting off your ass and doing it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »
Personally, my favorite all time grate(not just CI) is the one from Stok grills. I got it for free since someone put their Stok out on the curb!

I vote (used) stok also. Very happy with no real maintenance, I just use it a could times a week  it holds up grate!

And if you like the GBS accessories they work too, not to mention the vortex thing that comes with each stok.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:49:50 PM by Red_5_Wrangler »
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »

It would have to be a motivational video about getting off your ass and doing it
... I know a guy. He need to clean and season his craycort. Oooh maybe he can do it in his mothership K code rancher too. Suppose he coulda done it after getting lit earlier https://youtu.be/7INQZtnfszc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »

I vote (used) stok also. Very happy with no real maintenance, I just use it a could times a week  it holds up grate!

And if you like the GBS accessories they work too, not to mention the vortex thing that comes with each stok.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Yup!! No maintenance! Mine just sits outside and my chicken never sticks!

Sucks I missed out on the vortex thingy..... didn’t even know I missed out on it until you mentioned it lol durn you!! 🤣🤣

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »

This.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
Unless you constantly cook at low temps, forget about keeping seasoning on cast iron.  High temps also destroys porcelain coatings.  Easiest way to care for them is to scrape them down immediately after cooking while they're still hot, then heavy coat of fat during the cool down to keep them from rusting.  I love cast iron cookware, but hate cast iron grates.  While I don't condone grill marks, you can get a cast iron grill mark press if that's what you're after.