Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shaping Sheet Metal into a Ranch Drip Tray  (Read 3641 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Shaping Sheet Metal into a Ranch Drip Tray
« on: December 02, 2019, 05:57:58 AM »
So I have a bit of a project I want to take on  involving my Ranch.  If anyone has ever done offset cooking on one of these beasts they know they are disgusting to clean out with grease on the non-charcoal side. 

So I was thinking about buying  some sheet metal, tracing half of the lower charcoal grate on cardboard plus say 3 inches out, cutting it out, and shaping the rim outward and up to make a tray. 

I was thinking about using aluminum as it will be easier to shape, more rust resistant, and not as costly.  Stainless steel would be ideal but I am concerned with the cost and even more so with its ability to be shaped with hand tools.  I had considered cutting and welding, but have been avoiding due to cost and limited availability of having an experienced fabricator for aluminum and stainless steel.  I don't expect the end product to be show quality work based on my experience, but I think I can make something functional.

So any advice between aluminum or stainless steel on shaping?

What gauge of metal should I work with considering the size of the tray?

Anything else you can think of?

*Updated below with best options as of 12/02/2019*

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:36:23 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hammer Shaping Sheet Metal?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »
I agree with the clean up issue but that seems easily cured with drip pans. That being said a 14 gauge aluminum would work nicely for what you are trying to build IMO
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 06:29:56 AM »
Either an aluminum drip pan or wrap some heavy duty aluminum foil around the charcoal grate covering just the indirect side. My preference would be to use the aluminum drip pan, and if you really wanted to mold it into the shape of the bowl interior, you could easily form it with your bare hands. Hope this helps!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »
I like the idea of a permanent use drip pan over using foil or a throw away pan.  Unfortunately I haven't had much luck finding something that fits the Ranch perfectly.  The closest I found is that the webstuarant store has a 28" pizza pan that could be cut straight on one side for $58.  Unfortunately it won't allow much capacity for drippings and isn't quite perfect on fit with the charcoal grate being 32".  Ideally having the tray taper out about 1 or 2 inches on the curved side with the widest point at the bottom being 32".  Another member here did a similar tray and recommended the tray be 2 or 3 inches high I believe.

I am guessing the material will cost in the $80 to $120 range if I don't find a local supplier.  There is a local sheet metal fabricator I might reach out to.  I imagine their material cost is a fair amount less, but I can't be sure they will want a small job like this or what the cost would be.  If someone had the right metal fabrication tools I can't imagine it being more than an hours worth of work, but their fabrication cost might be high to pay for said tools.

I had the same company do and HVAC install for me so maybe they will be reasonable.  I would hate to go through hours of work to find out later that for a fair labor cost it could have been done perfectly. [emoji14]

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »
Here you go:
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/13G666_AS01?$mdmain$

Aluminum. Lots of sizes to choose from. Should be easy to fab into a semicircle. Line it with foil and you're good to go. 
Retired

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
What search term did you use for that pan 56MPG?  Or maybe you can do another link?  The link you posted just shows the photo rather than the product listings. Thanks.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »
Nevermind. I figured out it was a water heater pan.  I found this on home depot. Probably the exact same thing for less.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-30-in-Aluminum-Water-Heater-Drain-Pan-30AWHP/309163036

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
Grainger link here:
https://www.grainger.com/category/plumbing/water-heaters/water-heater-pans

Thanks for the Depot link - agree it's a better price. Might do one myself now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:22:47 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
According to the information the Home Depot drain pan is 32 inches at the top and 30 inches at the bottom meaning you would have a few inches on the sides where you wouldn't have coverage.  I suppose you could try to shape the sides out a bit for more coverage, but it would be minimal.   The best method I can think of is to insert the pan in the grill, mark it where it sits halfway on the charcoal grate, cut along the bottom bend of the tray on the unneeded side of the pan, bend the bottom of the tray up at a 90ish degree angle, fold the sides in, then fold the bottom back down over the sides holding them in place, and folding a small lip at the bottom to make the tray tilt away from the modified middle portion.  This way the drippings will run down and away from the side that won't be leak proof because of the cuts/bends.  I suppose you could use grill sealer on the tray to make it leak proof but it would only be effective for smoking as it would degrade for regular grilling.  Probably about the cheapest solution for a Ranch drip tray. 

So options:
1. Cheap DIY is a modified aluminum water heater pan for $44, some cutting, and folding.  Not full coverage, but probably good enough if you watch your food placement.
2. DIY with a 2 foot by 4 foot piece of 14 gauge sheet metal costing $100 +/-, then cutting to shape, and hammering into shape.  Welding may also be an option, but SS and aluminum welding isn't the same as regular welding meaning your options may be limited for who can do it.  You will get full coverage, but the cost and effort isn't ideal. 
3. Take it to a fabricator.  I may still call a few local guys just to get an idea, but I am assuming it will be in the $150 to $200 range if I am lucky.  It may look the cleanest, but for a grill that will probably be use less than 6 times a year it could be excessive. 

It might be a bit before I tackle this one.  If @56MPG, @JEBIV, or @jhagestad beat me to it feel free to post it here.  I am going to update my title so it is easier to find in the future if anyone is looking.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Shaping Sheet Metal into a Ranch Drip Tray
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:50 AM »
I use aluminum party platters covered with foil as drip trays
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 06:20:30 AM »
With the prices you're quoting here for DIY, you might be better off getting it fabricated, especially when you consider you'll have full drip coverage and it will look cleaner.

I have limited experience in working with sheet metal, but I have experience in woodworking, particularly in surfacing wooden skate bowls. Your biggest challenge will be matching the circumference of the kettle bowl with the drip pan bottom and lip. Depending on how tall you want the sides to be, the top edge will have to be a larger circumference than the bottom in order for the sides to match the concave of the bowl. The good news is that we're talking about a drip pan, so the sides only need to match the circumference at the top and bottom edges and not have the complete sides match the curvature of the bowl itself (i.e. it can have a straight edge leading from the top of the lip into the bottom). A fabricator can easily cut the pieces for you from the circumference measurements and weld them to the bottom so the unit fits perfectly in the kettle.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know - but I'm a visual guy.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
I think that the cheaper DIY or the fabricated options are best.  Unfortunately these are so large that trying to get someone to do a run of them to sell would be cost prohibitive just because of the shipping costs.  Any savings you might find in quantity will be ate up on shipping.

After this Black Friday it will probably be this Spring before I make some phone calls. 

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 11:21:03 AM »
Whatever you end up doing, I'd love to see the finished product!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
You could make a wooden form where the inside dimensions were similar to what @jhagestad has in his diagram, then try to hammer a sheet of aluminum or steel into it. Or maybe even make another wooden form that fits inside of it, then find a way to force it down(brake press, or some sort of homemade press) Idk for sure ive never really shaped metal besides an angle with a sheet metal break, I just figured I would throw out my brains idea lol

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »
If I was hammer forming you have the right idea but it is better to do it on a smaller scale. So you would make an edge in the shape you want the sheet metal to go and take several passes hammering it into shape.  For something like this you would start in the middle of the round portion and work your way out to each corner as it will create a divet or wrinkle in the metal that would be better to work toward the corner. 

The disadvantage to this is that it is labor intensive, you need to make a form, and the sheet metal cost is higher since you aren't able to buy in bulk.  Now a metal shop could do this pretty was because they could use an electric hammer, presses, or sheet metal benders in minutes compared to my hours.  Not saying I am completely ruling it out, but it definitely isn't the easy option.  Some members have done a similar method to make ash pans for 26ers because it's impossible to find them. 
You could make a wooden form where the inside dimensions were similar to what @jhagestad has in his diagram, then try to hammer a sheet of aluminum or steel into it. Or maybe even make another wooden form that fits inside of it, then find a way to force it down(brake press, or some sort of homemade press) Idk for sure ive never really shaped metal besides an angle with a sheet metal break, I just figured I would throw out my brains idea lol