Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chariot Seville Phoenix Rising  (Read 2932 times)

Cellar2ful

Chariot Seville Phoenix Rising
« on: November 25, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
Well, it's just a couple of months shy of 3 years since I  picked up this Chariot Seville.  For those of you that haven't seem my original thread from 2017; here is a link to the post: 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28034.0

The wrought iron cart and kettle had been terribly neglected and abused.  Separated from the cart, the original lime bowl had been used as a fire pit for several years. This misuse not only caused horrible crazing but the four grate straps had rotted out, leaving 4 gaping holes in the bowl.

I swore when I acquired it that one way or another, I was going to find a way to cook on this Chariot Seville using it's original bowl.  Well, the stars finally aligned. This was last night's cook of rotisserie lamb kebabs.

The best fix I could come up with was to entirely re-sleeve the inside of the bowl, using another kettle bowl.  I initially sourced a old MBH that the leg sockets had broken off.  Once I ground the handles off I, I found there was quite a bit of rust and rot behind the grate straps.  I decided to not use it as I felt it was going to eventually have the same problem with the grate straps rusting out. It took me another year to find a suitable three wheeler.  I found it about two blocks from my house, set at the curb with a Free sign on it.  It was a black L Code daisy wheel kettle in really nice shape.

After cutting/grinding the leg sockets and bowl handles off, I dropped it into the crazed bowl where I encountered an unforeseen obstacle.  It would only go in part way, leaving about 3 inches of it sticking out the top.  I took it to a welder/metal fabricator guy I have used in the past.  I felt if he cut off the rolled bead on the top of the newer, black kettle and cut a couple of slits into the bowl, it would more than likely fit inside the crazed bowl.  Picking it up from the welding shop, I found he did have to cut off the rolled top bead and make two 3" cuts in the upper bowl for it to fit. 

He also welded the bowls together by making a weld about every two inches around the top of the bowls.

Using a internal ash pan from a Happy Cooker will keep the ashes from getting in between the two bowls.

Using steel wool, I removed all the rust from the outside of the bowl and oiled the bare metal with olive oil. I also added some vintage correct bowl vents.

This has been the most involved and longest restoration I have undertaken.  It was worth every minute and dollar spent.

@Hell Fire Grill   @Darko  @WNC

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:56:48 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Kain

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chariot Seville Phoenix Rising
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:02:05 PM »
Wow !! That lid is in such good condition compared to that poor bowl. What a journey. Well done she looks great [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Radjx003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:03:19 PM »
Wow great work and persistence. Definitely worth the time and effort i reckon. I like the way you have adapted a new bowl into the old it looks very neat. Cool

Sent from my SM-G955F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 12:29:31 AM »
Nice work Jim first time I have seen this done

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Givewit2who56

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 02:53:37 AM »
So freaking amazing!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 03:11:33 AM »
true love of the RRR awesome job
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:28:07 AM »
Amazing!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 04:54:45 AM »
Awesome restoration

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 05:18:38 AM »
Nice job! That is a pretty creative fix to the issue of a rough bowl.  Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 05:26:10 AM »
Oh man, that is wild. I'm sure you were hoping to find a way to fill in the holes in the original bowl, but this is one heck of a good solution. The best part is you can't even tell unless you really know what you're looking at. Nice job!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 07:38:33 AM »
Great job breathing new life into this sweet Seville!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 07:56:40 AM »
That is an awesome restoration!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 08:34:39 AM »
Kettle ingenuity at it’s best.  Grate work.  Really curious how much better the thin “double wall” works at maintaining temp compared to a regular kettle[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 08:59:20 AM »
Nicely done, Jim!!   

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji481][emoji481]

Glad to see you finally got it done Jim. Thats the most practical way to make it happen IMO, plus 2 grills have their usefulness extended.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need