Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New member. Question about damaged kettle.  (Read 946 times)

nad_reyam

• Happy Cooker
New member. Question about damaged kettle.
« on: November 22, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
Hello all!  I have recently come into a Weber kettle grill that has been bad and neglected and left under a deck for several years.  I have sanded off much of the rust and caked on dirt and grime, but I may have overdone it and scrape through the ceramic in some areas. There are a few small spots were bare metal is now visible in the firebox and on the lid. there’s also still some lingering rust in the nooks and crannies of the braces that hold the charcoal great.  I intend on going back at it with some degreaser and perhaps some finer wire to hopefully remove some more of the rest. However, I was wondering if there is any danger in grilling on the cattle in this condition. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:05:46 PM by nad_reyam »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New member. Question about damaged kettle.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
What danger would there be?  Light some coal and start cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
No need to remove all the rust and take it to bare metal. Just clean it up and cook on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL! You have a weathered warrior, put some vegetable oil on the bare spots and cook away, and we would love to see some pictures!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
Welcome from Topeka Kansas. As others noted, just hit any bare metal with some cooking oil/bacon grease and cook something. I use a wire wheel on a drill to get the grate fairly clean and oil it before the first cook as well.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 06:03:58 AM »
Nope, no dangers. Just don’t use any high heat paint on the inside like I’ve seen some folks do, and you’ll be fine. Welcome from Deer Park, IL [emoji1303] GrillOn!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 04:43:06 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga just get to cooking and enjoy !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 05:04:10 AM »
Welcome aboard from Highland Park, Illinois (north of Chicago)! This group has answers to any Weber restoration/modification/operation you can think of. Super helpful!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again