Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Engraved S/N on leg of vintage kettle?  (Read 1442 times)

tvt

• Smokey Joe
Engraved S/N on leg of vintage kettle?
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
I’m curious if anyone has seen a series of numbers that looks like a serial number that was engraved on one of the legs of their older kettles?

I’m the second owner of a pat pending cado. I noticed that one of the legs has a letter and some numbers on it. I doubt it can from the factory like that but I’m curious if anyone w/ a vintage kettle has seen something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:11:20 PM by tvt »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Engraved S/N on leg of vintage kettle?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
Looks like an old DL #. It was pretty common for people to engrave their things with their DL # decades ago. My dad used to do it. Along the way the DMV added a couple of zeros after the letter because so many numbers were being issued. Pretty cool to see that on there.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
Re: Engraved S/N on leg of vintage kettle?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 03:28:15 AM »
Interesting.

Just my thoughts but it might be a old landline phone number.
I remember in SW Missouri many decades ago, actually before I was born lol, phone numbers would be for example "UN1-7820" which would be 861-7820. The UN was short for University.

That person would say "call me sometime at University 1-7820"

Or M54-5555 which was McDaniel54-5555 would be the phone  number of 654-5555.

The letters was the CO (Central Office) or I  other words the service area.

Your "J" might be the owners phone number, 586-3186.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:42:15 AM by pancho2017 »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 04:01:48 AM »
Call it!

tvt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:15:18 AM »
Ok. This California cado is definitely special. It has a drivers license and phone number. If it gets pulled over or lost, it’s got ID. Thank you guys! I’m kidding. [emoji61]‍♂️🤷‍♂️[emoji23]

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:50:42 AM »
Looks like an old DL #. It was pretty common for people to engrave their things with their DL # decades ago. My dad used to do it. Along the way the DMV added a couple of zeros after the letter because so many numbers were being issued. Pretty cool to see that on there.

I think Mike is correct.  I have come across a couple of kettles with what appeared to be engraved California Drivers License numbers on them.  I remember back in the 60's and 70's, there was a huge public media blitz recommending that people engrave their drivers license number on personal items that did not have serial numbers. It was and is still called "Operation Identification".  It is still recommended as it is the only way to positively  law enforcement agencies to identify and return stolen items to victims when recovered.  My roll away tool box and every wrench, socket and tool is engraved with my California Drivers License.  I engraved them as I acquired them in my late teens, early twenties. 

Here is a link I found from the Norwell, Massachusetts Police Department re Operation Identification.       http://www.norwellpolice.com/NPDServices/OperationIdentification.aspx

I remember a post about someone finding a kettle that the original owner had engraved the drivers license number into the porcelain of the lid.  Don't know what that guy was thinking.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:52:22 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »
Just curious you say you're the second owner of this kettle? So you bought it from the first owner? Why not just ask them lol?

Are these legs removable or welded on?  I definitely wouldn't put a identifying marks on a small piece like the legs I'd put it on the bowl or lid. You wouldn't put identifying mark's on the lug nut of a vintage automobile you'd put it on the most largest pieces.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:19:36 PM by pancho2017 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
It’s porcelain enameled steel. You aren’t going to be able to just mark your DL number on it. It’s pretty tough for a finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

tvt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »

Just curious you say you're the second owner of this kettle? So you bought it from the first owner? Why not just ask them lol?

Are these legs removable or welded on?  I definitely wouldn't put a identifying marks on a small piece like the legs I'd put it on the bowl or lid. You wouldn't put identifying mark's on the lug nut of a vintage automobile you'd put it on the most largest pieces.

I bought it awhile back via Craigslist. I don’t keep names and numbers of everyone I deal with. I came across the “identification” long after the purchase.

From my experience, every Weber kettle I’ve come across has removable legs.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 06:46:11 PM »
I found this on the inside of both the lid (shown) and kettle portion of my WoodDale boobie. Definitely  a DL#.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER