Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help out a noob - preheating my grill!  (Read 1433 times)

Bonehead

• Happy Cooker
Help out a noob - preheating my grill!
« on: September 24, 2019, 07:41:03 AM »
Hi all

Long time lurker, just registered as I was hoping someone could help me out.

I'm brand new to the world of weber grills and grilling / smoking in general.  I bought my first weber kettle around 3 months ago and have actually been pretty impressed with how burgers, chicken thighs / wings and ribs have turned out so far given my lack of experience, but one thing I really struggle with is getting my grill to temp at the start of my cook.

I have the Weber's complete BBQ book which I have been taking tips from - with regards to pre heating it says to pre heat the grill to 500 degrees then use the vents to get to your required temp, but i really struggle to get it down to 250 even with the vents closed.

Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to get to my optimum temp.

Thanks!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Help out a noob - preheating my grill!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
Hi all

Long time lurker, just registered as I was hoping someone could help me out.

I'm brand new to the world of weber grills and grilling / smoking in general.  I bought my first weber kettle around 3 months ago and have actually been pretty impressed with how burgers, chicken thighs / wings and ribs have turned out so far given my lack of experience, but one thing I really struggle with is getting my grill to temp at the start of my cook.

I have the Weber's complete BBQ book which I have been taking tips from - with regards to pre heating it says to pre heat the grill to 500 degrees then use the vents to get to your required temp, but i really struggle to get it down to 250 even with the vents closed.

Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to get to my optimum temp.

Thanks!
You are probably lighting too much charcoal at one time.  Search "snake method" on here or on YouTube and it will give you the right idea.  Essentially it involves stacking charcoal in a line and only using a few coals to light one end.  You can also try just piling coal to one side and lighting one end but the results can vary a little more.  If you get some examples of people using either method on the kettle size you are in it should get you in the ballpark of the desired temperature.  Having a good probe thermometer and taking weather conditions into account helps as well.  For example, more sun means easier heat especially with black kettles, more wind is more air and etc.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:41 AM »
Yep yep, what reanimated said.

For lower temp cooks, you don't just light up a  chimney of charcoal and then try to choke it down with the vents.  You start with less lit charcoal.   Even with this,there are multiple methods.

Might be easier if you told us what you were trying to cook.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Yep yep, what reanimated said.

For lower temp cooks, you don't just light up a  chimney of charcoal and then try to choke it down with the vents.  You start with less lit charcoal.   Even with this,there are multiple methods.

Might be easier if you told us what you were trying to cook.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Agree, my method changes with what I am cooking, whether it’s direct or indirect and how long the cook will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
Weber's recommendation is probably influenced by corporate lawyers as a way to just about guarantee that nobody can get sick from leftover surviving bacteria. However, the types of bacteria that can cause food-borne illnesses are killed off at temperatures above 165F. Higher heat for preheating can be useful for helping to burn off some chunks stuck to your grates and make it easier to scrub off the rest, though. I'd think that if you want to have lower temperatures for your cooks, you could ignite fewer pieces of charcoal (snake method, etc.). I'm a newbie too, so I'm sure there's other members here that may have more accurate information.

Bonehead

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:30:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone....yes, I've been lighting a chimney full and dropping it in after 15 minutes or so.  This is obviously where I've been going wrong!

When I tried to cook ribs for the first times a couple of weeks ago it took me about 90 minutes to get my kettle back down to 250 after pouring in the lit coals....I have read about the snake method and will give that a go this weekend.

Would I still be looking to preheat to a certain temp before dropping it back to 250 or would I just look to get to 250 and put the ribs in?

Thanks so much!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
You are in the right place for this answer!

Reanimated is absolutely correct on everything.  I own a 22" kettle, and if I'm doing low and slow cooks (225F-275F over the course of 6-12 hours), I use the snake method which gives me consistent, predictable temps without having to add coals until about the 10 hour mark.  No need to worry about preheating -- I start off the snake with 12 lit pieces of charcoal and let the temp come up to 250.  An aluminum pan filled halfway with water in the middle of the kettle next to the coals will also help keep your temps moderated and the food moist.

Several here use a product called the Slow-n-Sear with similar results (I don't own one so I can't personally attest).  I use the Weber iGrill for my thermometer probe, and it's awesome.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
Help out a noob - preheating my grill!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:42:06 AM »
I find it easiest not to overshoot by too much. Usually within 75 degrees.

I have a Smokey Joe that I use to light my chimney on sometimes. I remember when I first started, overshooting my temp by so much that I pulled individual coals out with tongs and put them on the smokey joe until I got to the correct temp. Actually was interesting from the point of view of learning how much charcoal you needed to keep the temp correct.

I just got a slow and sear a month ago and it is wayyyyyyyyy easier than doing it on your own. But I gotta say, I recommend you struggle with it for a while and cultivate how a cook feels without it. In the long run it will just benefit you as you will become a stronger cook because of it and have the ability to cook on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:51:48 AM by Jtayres »
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
On a low and slow cook, you are better off trying to get some charcoals lit and then try to raise the temp to your desired level by opening vents.   This applies to the snake and minion methods.  That and through experience, learning how many lit coals you should start off with given your desired temp and ambient air temps.  I mean, you'll need more lit coal to reach 250 when it's 50 degrees outside than when it's 95. 

Bonehead

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 03:00:37 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for helping me!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 07:04:04 AM »
This group always comes through!  Raises all-around.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again