Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 7402 charcoal rails  (Read 8816 times)

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber 7402 charcoal rails
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 04:41:00 AM »
I used them before baskets.

Often unhooked from the lower grate, cannot be slid around or elevated on bricks, picked up and shaken, etc.

Baskets are far more flexible and useful.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 12:39:02 PM »

Often unhooked from the lower grate, cannot be slid around or elevated on bricks, picked up and shaken, etc.

They do not come unhooked from the grate at all when installed properly. They lock in and do not move. They work fantastic because you can place them anywhere. I use two in line (staggered one grate bar) on the 26” for large two zone area.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »

They do not come unhooked from the grate at all when installed properly. They lock in and do not move. They work fantastic because you can place them anywhere. I use two in line (staggered one grate bar) on the 26” for large two zone area.

Damn @HoosierKettle had not thought of that on the 26 thanks for the tip. time to dig out my charcoal rails
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »

I had these forever before making the "bigger better weber basket" mod. My only criticisms in using them were they resulted in banking of coals against the bowl and they didn't contain charcoal well once the briquettes burned halfway through (pieces would fall through between the rails resulting in a small spreading out of coals). These are minor quibbles and didn't detract at all from my grilling experience in using them. They could be installed and removed easily and were incredibly durable (mine lasted for 20 years).
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 02:02:45 PM »
I have 3 sets of the original rails that came out in the 60's. They are different in design from the current ones. It's time to start using them.

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 06:28:22 AM »
I stand by my observations above....baskets are far more flexible.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Weber 7402 charcoal rails
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 08:25:47 AM »
Actually I rarely use any containment. Just a piece of heavy duty foil to catch drippings is all I usually need for an indirect cook.

frankpitts

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
2 firebricks are best on there side laid end to end across charcoal grate...btr than baskets, rails or sns

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:55 PM »
2 firebricks are best on there side laid end to end across charcoal grate...btr than baskets, rails or sns
Used firebricks for a long time when my original baskets rusted out....but SnS prevents porcelain popping, which happened to me in my firebrick days.  So to me, SnS > firebrick. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 05:53:58 PM »

Used firebricks for a long time when my original baskets rusted out....but SnS prevents porcelain popping, which happened to me in my firebrick days.  So to me, SnS > firebrick. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Agree.... popped my red special edition porcelain with coals piled on the side.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

frankpitts

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
Yes, the firebrick method results in banked coals.  I am doing this on my daily workhorse black 22.  I also like the heat retention qualities of the brick.  If I had a really nice classic kettle, I would get a SNS to protect the finish.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 02:40:51 AM »
I use 1 coal rail in my black 22 that u normally cook on. I actually just looked yesterday to see if there was any damage to the porcelain, but I didn't see anything. But I wouldn't do it to one of my nicer kettles
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:44:34 AM by Walchit »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
My regular indirect is foil water pan in the middle charcoal on each side. Those rails would fit 6 bars in and lock in and not move, never had trouble with charcoal falling through. I have the baskets now. I prefer the rails, never had to move them. I do have to move baskets every time, because the aren’t locked in. I also have had issues here and there with inconsistent burning in a basket. Baskets are easier to clean, out ash with, but who doesn’t use the one touch to get ash out?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club